Vertical and Horizontal Education-Job Mismatches in the Korean Youth Labor Market : A Quantile Regression Approach
In an analysis based on a cohort of Korean college graduates, there was a positive relationship between over-education and horizontal mismatches, and in a subsequent regression analysis disregarding horizontal education-job mismatches (over-education), the wage penalty for over-education (horizontal mismatches) was overestimated. Low-ability groups showed significant overestimation, ranging from 8.3% to 89.5%. According to the quantile regression results, the level of wage penalties for over-education and horizontal mismatches varied according to the worker¡¯s ability. The relative importance of these penalties varied according to the worker¡¯s ability and gender. Specifically, the wage penalty for horizontal mismatches exceeded that for over-education for low-ability male workers, whereas the wage penalty for over-education exceeded that for horizontal mismatches for female workers regardless of their ability.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1 Sinsu-dong, Mapo-gu, Seoul 121-742|
Web page: http://home.sogang.ac.kr/sites/sgrime
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daly, Mary C. & Buchel, Felix & Duncan, Greg J., 2000. "Premiums and penalties for surplus and deficit education: Evidence from the United States and Germany," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 169-178, April.
- McGuinness, Seamus & Sloane, Peter J., 2011.
"Labour market mismatch among UK graduates: An analysis using REFLEX data,"
Economics of Education Review,
Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 130-145, February.
- McGuinness, Seamus & Sloane, Peter J., 2009. "Labour Market Mismatch Among UK Graduates: An Analysis Using REFLEX Data," IZA Discussion Papers 4168, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Seamus McGuinness & Peter J. Sloane, 2009. "Labour Market Mismatch Among UK Graduates; An Analysis Using REFLEX Data," Papers WP294, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Joop Hartog & Pedro T. Pereira & José A.C. Vieira, 1999.
"Changing Returns to Education in Portugal during the 1980s and Early 1990s: OLS and quantile regression estimators,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
99-002/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Joop Hartog & Pedro Pereira & Jose Vieira, 2001. "Changing returns to education in Portugal during the 1980s and early 1990s: OLS and quantile regression estimators," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(8), pages 1021-1037.
- Duncan, Greg J. & Hoffman, Saul D., 1981. "The incidence and wage effects of overeducation," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 75-86, February.
- Nachum Sicherman, 1987.
"Over-Education in the Labor Market,"
University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State
48, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Rumberger, Russell W., 1981. "The rising incidence of overeducation in the U.S. Labor market," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 293-314, June.
- Ana I Moro-Egido & Santiago Budría, .
"Overeducation and Wages in Europe: Evidence from Quantile Regression,"
Studies on the Spanish Economy
- Ana I. Moro Egido & Santiago Budría, 2007. "Overeducation and Wages in Europe: Evidence from Quantile Regression," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2007/04, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Hartog, Joop, 2000. "Over-education and earnings: where are we, where should we go?," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 131-147, April.
- Colm Harmon & Hessel Oosterbeek & Ian Walker, 2003. "The Returns to Education: Microeconomics," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(2), pages 115-156, 04.
- Hartog, Joop, 1980. "Earnings and Capability Requirements," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 62(2), pages 230-40, May.
- Bauer, Thomas K., 2002. "Educational mismatch and wages: a panel analysis," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 221-229, June.
- Kelly, Elish & O'Connell, Philip J. & Smyth, Emer, 2010.
"The economic returns to field of study and competencies among higher education graduates in Ireland,"
Economics of Education Review,
Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 650-657, August.
- Elish Kelly & Philip O'Connell & Emer Smyth, 2008. "The Economic Returns to Field of Study and Competencies Among Higher Education Graduates in Ireland," Papers WP242, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- McGuinness, Seamus & Bennett, Jessica, 2007. "Overeducation in the graduate labour market: A quantile regression approach," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 521-531, October.
- Robst, John, 2007. "Education and job match: The relatedness of college major and work," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 397-407, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sgo:wpaper:1201. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (In Choi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.