Health Insurance and Job Mobility: Evidence from Clinton's Second Mandate
In this paper we analyse data from the 1996 panel of the Survey of Income and Program Participation to investigate the effect of employer-provided health insurance (EPHI) on job mobility from 1996 to 2000. First, we estimate the effect of EPHI on four month job turnover. It is found that, after accounting for unobserved individual heterogeneity, holding EPHI induces substantial mobility reductions for all demographic groups, ranging from 31\% to 58\%. Second, we evaluate whether the 1996 Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act succeeded in mitigating insurance induced mobility reductions and we find that it did not.
|Date of creation:||01 Sep 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Industrial and Labor Relations Review, 2006, vol. 59, pages 430-37|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: I-80126 Napoli|
Phone: +39 081 - 675372
Fax: +39 081 - 675372
Web page: http://www.csef.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Cutler & Jonathan Gruber, 2001. "Health Policy in the Clinton Era: Once Bitten, Twice Shy," NBER Working Papers 8455, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Donna B. Gilleskie & Byron F. Lutz, 2002.
"The Impact of Employer-Provided Health Insurance on Dynamic Employment Transitions,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 37(1), pages 129-162.
- Donna B. Gilleskie & Byron F. Lutz, 1999. "The Impact of Employer-Provided Health Insurance on Dynamic Employment Transitions," NBER Working Papers 7307, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kanika Kapur, 1998. "The impact of health on job mobility : a measure of job lock," Open Access publications 10197/297, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Gruber, Jonathan, 2000. "Health insurance and the labor market," Handbook of Health Economics, in: A. J. Culyer & J. P. Newhouse (ed.), Handbook of Health Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 12, pages 645-706 Elsevier.
- Gary Chamberlain, 1980. "Analysis of Covariance with Qualitative Data," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(1), pages 225-238.
- Jonathan Gruber & Brigitte C. Madrian, 1994. "Health Insurance and Job Mobility: The Effects of Public Policy on Job-Lock," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 48(1), pages 86-102, October.
- Kanika Kapur, 1998. "The Impact of Health on Job Mobility: A Measure of Job Lock," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 51(2), pages 282-298, January.
- Jonathan Gruber, 1998. "Health Insurance and the Labor Market," NBER Working Papers 6762, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jonathan Gruber & Brigitte C. Madrian, 2002.
"Health Insurance, Labor Supply, and Job Mobility: A Critical Review of the Literature,"
NBER Working Papers
8817, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jonathan Gruber & Brigitte C. Madrian, 2002. "Health Insurance, Labor Supply, and Job Mobility: A Critical Review of the Literature," JCPR Working Papers 255, Northwestern University/University of Chicago Joint Center for Poverty Research.
- Douglas Holtz-Eakin, 1994. "Health Insurance Provision and Labor Market Efficiency in the United States and Germany," NBER Chapters, in: Social Protection versus Economic Flexibility: Is There a Trade-Off?, pages 157-188 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dey, M. S. & Flinn, C. J., 2000.
"An Equilibrium Model of Health Insurance Provision and Wage Determination,"
00-18, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Matthew S. Dey & Christopher J. Flinn, 2005. "An Equilibrium Model of Health Insurance Provision and Wage Determination," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 73(2), pages 571-627, 03.
- Kanika Kapur, 2003. "Labor Market Implications of State Small Group Health Insurance Reform," Public Finance Review, SAGE Publishing, vol. 31(6), pages 571-600, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sef:csefwp:122. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lia Ambrosio)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.