Public Finances and Economic Transition
This paper analyzes developments in general government expenditures and revenues for 26 reforming ex-socialist economies (RESEs) over the period 1989-1994. The data indicate that, rather than uniformly converging to a “Western European” norm, RESEs have followed a variety of patterns, depending on how successful they have been in economic reform in general and in tackling the increase in the demand for social protection in particular. The paper conducts an empirical investigation of spending patterns and the sustainability of revenues required to maintain current government spending, and concludes that there are strong indications that the fiscal accounts will remain under pressure in a number of RESEs in the foreseeable future.
|Date of creation:||1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +48 22 206 29 00
Fax: +48 22 206 29 01
Web page: http://www.case-research.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Krumm, Kathie & Milanovic, Branko & Walton, Michael, 1994. "Transfers and the transition from socialism : key tradeoffs," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1380, The World Bank.
- Alan T. Peacock & Jack Wiseman, 1961. "The Growth of Public Expenditure in the United Kingdom," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number peac61-1, August.
- Luca Barbone & Domenico J. Marchetti, 1995.
"Transition and the Fiscal Crisis in Central Europe,"
CASE Network Studies and Analyses
0040, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Luca Barbone & Domenico Marchetti, 1995. "Transition and the fiscal crisis in Central Europe," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 3(1), pages 59-74, 03.
- GÃ©rard BÃ©langer, 1994. "Eastern Europe; Factors Underlying the Weakening Performance of Tax Revenues," IMF Working Papers 94/104, International Monetary Fund.
- Sam Peltzman, 1980.
"The Growth of Government,"
University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State
1, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Vito Tanzi, 1993. "Fiscal Policy and the Economic Restructuring of Economies in Transition," IMF Working Papers 93/22, International Monetary Fund.
- de Melo, Martha & Denizer, Cevdet & Gelb, Alan, 1996. "From plan to market : patterns of transition," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1564, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sec:cnstan:0068. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Agata Kwiek)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.