The Inflation Aversion of the Bundesbank: A State Space Approach
A simple backward-looking Taylor rule is estimated in a time-varying coefficient framework with quarterly German data for the period 1975-1998. Markov switching models and the Kalman Filter are used to extract the unobservable paths of the coefficients. The main finding is that the inflation aversion of the Bundesbank was not constant over time and exhibits some sudden and large shifts during the period of monetary targeting. There are phases with low and with high inflation aversion. This could for example explain why the estimated value of the inflation coefficient in backward-looking Taylor rules often does not exceed one and so violates the implications of theoretical monetary policy models. Moreover, the results provide evidence that the Bundesbank followed the so-called "opportunistic approach" to disinflation
|Date of creation:||11 Aug 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://comp-econ.org/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Clarida & Mark Gertler, 1996.
"How the Bundesbank Conducts Monetary Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
5581, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard Clarida & Jordi Galí & Mark Gertler, 1997.
"The science of monetary policy: A new Keynesian perspective,"
Economics Working Papers
356, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Apr 1999.
- Mark Gertler & Jordi Gali & Richard Clarida, 1999. "The Science of Monetary Policy: A New Keynesian Perspective," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(4), pages 1661-1707, December.
- Clarida, R. & Gali, J. & Gertler, M., 1999. "The Science of Monetary Policy: A New Keynesian Perspective," Working Papers 99-13, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Clarida, Richard & Galí, Jordi & Gertler, Mark, 1999. "The Science of Monetary Policy: A New Keynesian Perspective," CEPR Discussion Papers 2139, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard Clarida & Jordi Gali & Mark Gertler, 1999. "The Science of Monetary Policy: A New Keynesian Perspective," NBER Working Papers 7147, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gabriel Rodriguez, 2001. "Estimation of the Taylor Rule for Canada Under Multiple Structural Changes," Working Papers 0107E, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- Cukierman, A., 1999. "The Inflation Bias Result Revisited," Papers 38-99, Tel Aviv.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sce:scecf4:121. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.