Fixed-to-Mobile Substitution in the European Union
This paper analyzes substitution between access to fixed-line and mobile telephony in the European Union. We estimate a structural model of household's demand for: (i) fixed-line only; (ii) mobile only; (iii) and both fixed-line and mobile access. We find that decreasing prices for mobile services increase the share of 'mobile only' households and decrease shares of 'fixed only' and 'fixed + mobile' households which suggests substitution between fixed-line and mobile connections. Moreover, growing Internet and DSL usage increase the share of 'fixed + mobile' households, which suggests that households keep their fixed line connection to access Internet. However, spread of 3G and cable modem broadband access decreases the share of 'fixed + mobile' households and increases the share of 'mobile only' households. Hence, in the future, fixed-line connection used for Internet access may be substituted by mobile broadband, as was in the case of voice telephony. On the other hand, bundling increases the share of 'fixed + mobile' households and decreases the shares of 'mobile only' and 'fixed only' households, which suggests that firms which provide both fixed-line and mobile services may slow down the substitution by bundling products.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Newlands on Main, F0301 3rd Floor Mariendahl House, cnr Campground and Main Rds, Claremont, 7700 Cape Town|
Phone: 021 671-3980
Fax: +27 21 671 3912
Web page: http://www.econrsa.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nevo, Aviv, 2001.
"Measuring Market Power in the Ready-to-Eat Cereal Industry,"
Econometric Society, vol. 69(2), pages 307-42, March.
- Nevo, Aviv, 1999. "Measuring Market Power in the Ready-to-Eat Cereal Industry," Competition Policy Center, Working Paper Series qt7cm5p858, Competition Policy Center, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Aviv Nevo, 2003. "Measuring Market Power in the Ready-to-Eat Cereal Industry," Microeconomics 0303006, EconWPA.
- Nevo, Aviv, 1998. "Measuring Market Power in the Ready-To-Eat Cereal Industry," Research Reports 25164, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Aviv Nevo, 1998. "Measuring Market Power in the Ready-to-Eat Cereal Industry," NBER Working Papers 6387, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nevo, Aviv, 1998. "Measuring Market Power in the Ready-To-Eat Cereal Industry," Food Marketing Policy Center Research Reports 037, University of Connecticut, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Charles J. Zwick Center for Food and Resource Policy.
- Barth, Anne-Kathrin & Heimeshoff, Ulrich, 2012.
"How large is the magnitude of fixed-mobile call substitution? Empirical evidence from 16 Europen countries,"
23rd European Regional ITS Conference, Vienna 2012
60391, International Telecommunications Society (ITS).
- Barth, Anne-Kathrin & Heimeshoff, Ulrich, 2012. "How large is the magnitude of fixed-mobile call substitution? Empirical evidence from 16 European countries," DICE Discussion Papers 49, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE), University of Düsseldorf.
- Gruber, Harald & Verboven, Frank, 2001.
"The diffusion of mobile telecommunications services in the European Union,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 577-588, March.
- Gruber, Harald & Verboven, Frank, 1999. "The Diffusion of Mobile Telecommunications Services in the European Union," CEPR Discussion Papers 2054, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gruber, H. & Verboven, F.L., 1998. "The Diffusion of Mobile Telecommunications Services in the European Union," Discussion Paper 1998-138, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Steven T. Berry, 1994. "Estimating Discrete-Choice Models of Product Differentiation," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 25(2), pages 242-262, Summer.
- Lukasz Grzybowski & Chiraz Karamti, 2007.
"Competition in Mobile Telephony in France and Germany,"
07-24, NET Institute, revised Sep 2007.
- Lukasz Grzybowski & Chiraz Karamti, 2010. "Competition In Mobile Telephony In France And Germany," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 78(6), pages 702-724, December.
- Suárez, David & García-Mariñoso, Begoña, 2013. "Which are the drivers of fixed to mobile telephone access substitution? An empirical study of the Spanish residential market," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 282-291.
- Jerry Hausman, 1997.
"Cellular Telephone, New Products and the CPI,"
NBER Working Papers
5982, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Matthew Gentzkow, 2007. "Valuing New Goods in a Model with Complementarity: Online Newspapers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(3), pages 713-744, June.
- Wolfgang Briglauer & Anton Schwarz & Christine Zulehner, 2011. "Is fixed-mobile substitution strong enough to de-regulate fixed voice telephony? Evidence from the Austrian markets," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 39(1), pages 50-67, February.
- Mélisande Cardona & Anton Schwarz & B. Yurtoglu & Christine Zulehner, 2009. "Demand estimation and market definition for broadband Internet services," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 70-95, February.
- Vogelsang, Ingo, 2010. "The relationship between mobile and fixed-line communications: A survey," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 4-17, March.
- Nakil Sung & Yong-Hun Lee, 2002. "Substitution between Mobile and Fixed Telephones in Korea," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 20(4), pages 367-374, June.
- Srinuan, Pratompong & Srinuan, Chalita & Bohlin, Erik, 2012. "Fixed and mobile broadband substitution in Sweden," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 237-251.
- Ahn, Hyungtaik & Lee, Myeong-Ho, 1999. "An econometric analysis of the demand for access to mobile telephone networks," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 297-305, September.
- Gebreab, Frew Amare, 2002. "Getting connected : competition and diffusion in African mobile telecommunications markets," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2863, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rza:wpaper:271. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Charles Tanton)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.