An Expository Note on the Existence of Moments of Fuller and HFUL Estimators
In a recent paper, Hausman et al. (2012) propose a new estimator, HFUL (Heteroscedasticity robust Fuller), for the linear model with endogeneity. This estimator is consistent and asymptotically normally distributed in the many instruments and many weak instruments asymptotics. Moreover, this estimator has moments, just like the estimator by Fuller (1977). The purpose of this note is to discuss at greater length the existence of moments result given in Hausman et al. (2012). In particular, we intend to answer the following questions: Why does LIML not have moments? Why does the Fuller modification lead to estimators with moments? Is normality required for the Fuller estimator to have moments? Why do we need a condition such as Hausman et al. (2012), Assumption 9? Why do we have the adjustment formula?
|Date of creation:||16 Jul 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in: Essays in Honor of Jerry Hausman: Advances in Econometrics, volume 29, Emerald, New York, 2012, 87-106.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: New Jersey Hall - 75 Hamilton Street, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1248|
Phone: (732) 932-7363
Fax: (732) 932-7416
Web page: http://economics.rutgers.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bekker, Paul A, 1994. "Alternative Approximations to the Distributions of Instrumental Variable Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(3), pages 657-81, May.
- Norman R. Swanson & John C. Chao & Jerry A. Hausman & Whitney K. Newey & Tiemen Woutersen, 2011.
"Instrumental Variable Estimation with Heteroskedasticity and Many Instruments,"
Departmental Working Papers
201111, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Jerry A. Hausman & Whitney K. Newey & Tiemen Woutersen & John C. Chao & Norman R. Swanson, 2012. "Instrumental variable estimation with heteroskedasticity and many instruments," Quantitative Economics, Econometric Society, vol. 3(2), pages 211-255, 07.
- Jerry Hausman & Whitney Newey & Tiemen Woutersen & John Chao & Norman Swanson, 2007. "Instrumental variable estimation with heteroskedasticity and many instruments," CeMMAP working papers CWP22/07, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Hausman & Newey & Woutersen & Chao & Swanson, 2009. "Instrumental Variable Estimation with Heteroskedasticity and Many Instruments," Economics Working Paper Archive 566, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Jinyong Hahn & Jerry Hausman & Guido Kuersteiner, 2004. "Estimation with weak instruments: Accuracy of higher-order bias and MSE approximations," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 7(1), pages 272-306, 06.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rut:rutres:201311. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.