Sectoral Price Facts in a Sticky-Price Model
We develop a multi-sector sticky-price DSGE model that can endogenously deliver differential responses of prices to aggregate and sectoral shocks. Input-output production linkages induce across-sector pricing complementarities that contribute to a slow response of prices to aggregate shocks. In turn, input-market segmentation at the sectoral level induces within-sector pricing substitutability, which helps the model deliver a fast response of prices to sector-specific shocks. We estimate the model using aggregate and sectoral price and quantity data for the U.S., and find that it accounts extremely well for a range of sectoral price facts.
|Date of creation:||04 Nov 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (732) 932-7482
Fax: (732) 932-7416
Web page: http://snde.rutgers.edu/Rutgers/wp/rutgers-wplist.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maral Shamloo, 2010. "Price Setting in a Model with Production Chains; Evidence From Sectoral Data," IMF Working Papers 10/82, International Monetary Fund.
- Calvo, Guillermo A., 1983. "Staggered prices in a utility-maximizing framework," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 383-398, September.
- Laurence Ball & David Romer, 1987.
"Real Rigidities and the Non-Neutrality of Money,"
NBER Working Papers
2476, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mark Gertler & John Leahy, 2008.
"A Phillips Curve with an Ss Foundation,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 116(3), pages 533-572, 06.
- Mirko Wiederholt & Emanuel Moench & Bartosz Maćkowiak, 2009.
"Sectoral Price Data and Models of Price Setting,"
2009 Meeting Papers
666, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Andrade, P. & Zachariadis, M., 2012.
"Global versus local shocks in micro price dynamics,"
365, Banque de France.
- Philippe Andrade & Marios Zachariadis, 2011. "Global Versus Local Shocks in Micro Price Dynamics," University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics 10-2011, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
- Marios Zachariadis, 2012. "Global Versus Local Shocks in Micro Price Dynamics," 2012 Meeting Papers 66, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Basu, S., 1993.
"Intermediate Goods and Business Cycles: Implications for Productivity and Welfare,"
93-23, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- Basu, Susanto, 1995. "Intermediate Goods and Business Cycles: Implications for Productivity and Welfare," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(3), pages 512-31, June.
- Susanto Basu, 1994. "Intermediate Goods and Business Cycles: Implications for Productivity and Welfare," NBER Working Papers 4817, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Boivin, Jean & Giannoni, Marc & Mihov, Ilian, 2007.
"Sticky Prices and Monetary Policy: Evidence from Disaggregated US Data,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6101, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jean Boivin & Marc P. Giannoni & Ilian Mihov, 2009. "Sticky Prices and Monetary Policy: Evidence from Disaggregated US Data," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 99(1), pages 350-84, March.
- Boivin, Jean & Giannoni, Marc P. & Mihov, Ilian, 2006. "Sticky prices and monetary policy: Evidence from disaggregated US data," CFS Working Paper Series 2007/14, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Jean Boivin & Marc Giannoni & Ilian Mihov, 2007. "Sticky Prices and Monetary Policy: Evidence from Disaggregated U.S. Data," NBER Working Papers 12824, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carvalho Carlos, 2006. "Heterogeneity in Price Stickiness and the Real Effects of Monetary Shocks," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 6(3), pages 1-58, December.
- Ariel Burstein & Christian Hellwig, 2007.
"Prices and Market Shares in a Menu Cost Model,"
NBER Working Papers
13455, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Burstein, Ariel Tomas & Hellwig, Christian, 2007. "Prices and Market Shares in a Menu Cost Model," CEPR Discussion Papers 6504, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Christian Hellwig & Ariel Burstein, 2007. "Prices and Market Shares in a Menu Cost Model," 2007 Meeting Papers 327, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- BOUAKEZ, Hafed & CARDIA Emanuela & RUGE-MURCIA, Francisco, 2005.
"The Transmission of Monetary Policy in a Multi-Sector Economy,"
Cahiers de recherche
2005-16, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Hafedh Bouakez & Emanuela Cardia & Francisco J. Ruge-Murcia, 2009. "The Transmission Of Monetary Policy In A Multisector Economy," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 50(4), pages 1243-1266, November.
- BOUAKEZ, Hafedh & CARDIA, Emanuela & RUGE-MURCIA, Francisco J., 2005. "The Transmission of Monetary Policy in a Multi-Sector Economy," Cahiers de recherche 20-2005, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Emi Nakamura & Jón Steinsson, 2008. "Five Facts about Prices: A Reevaluation of Menu Cost Models," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 123(4), pages 1415-1464, November.
- Altissimo, Filippo & Mojon, Benoit & Zaffaroni, Paolo, 2009. "Can aggregation explain the persistence of inflation?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 231-241, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rut:rutres:201133. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.