The Lighthouse Reform Movement in Antebellum America
This study investigates whether economic differences attributable to the length of a state's coastline effected Congressional voting in the 1850s on measures to reform the lighthouse system, a service often thought to be best provided by the government. Probit estimation indicates that geographic differences and party affiliation were influential in initiating an investigation of the lighthouse system.
|Date of creation:||08 Apr 1997|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (732) 932-7363
Fax: (732) 932-7416
Web page: http://snde.rutgers.edu/Rutgers/wp/rutgers-wplist.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- McArthur, John & Marks, Stephen V, 1988. "Constitutent Interest vs. Legislator Ideology: The Role of Political Opportunity Cost," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 26(3), pages 461-70, July.
- Ellison, Sara Fisher & Mullin, Wallace P, 1995. "Economics and Politics: The Case of Sugar Tariff Reform," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 38(2), pages 335-66, October.
- Van Zandt, David E, 1993. "The Lessons of the Lighthouse: "Government" or "Private" Provision of Goods," The Journal of Legal Studies, University of Chicago Press, vol. 22(1), pages 47-72, January.
- Coase, R H, 1974. "The Lighthouse in Economics," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 17(2), pages 357-76, October.
- Charles W. Calomiris & Eugene N. White, 1994. "The Origins of Federal Deposit Insurance," NBER Chapters, in: The Regulated Economy: A Historical Approach to Political Economy, pages 145-188 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wise, Sherry & Sandler, Todd, 1994.
"Rent-Seeking and Pesticide Legislation,"
Staff General Research Papers
709, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Nollen, Stanley D & Iglarsh, Harvey J, 1990. " Explanations of Protectionism in International Trade Votes," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 66(2), pages 137-53, August.
- Kalt, Joseph P & Zupan, Mark A, 1984. "Capture and Ideology in the Economic Theory of Politics," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(3), pages 279-300, June.
- Demsetz, Harold, 1970. "The Private Production of Public Goods," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 13(2), pages 293-306, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rut:rutres:199703. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.