CSR reporting: The mastery of the internal dynamics
Through in-depth semi-structured interviews with senior managers, this study tries to reveal the reasons behind both the presence and the absence of corporate social responsibility (CSR) disclosures in the annual reports of Belgian listed companies. Using a neo-institutional theory lens, the narratives indicate that although companies might feel some institutional pressures to report CSR information, ‘institutional isolating mechanisms’ might hinder companies to include this type of information in their annual reports. A conservative attitude towards reporting in general appears to constitute an institutional isolating mechanism in the context of CSR reporting.
|Date of creation:||May 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Hoveniersberg 4, B-9000 Gent|
Phone: ++ 32 (0) 9 264 34 61
Fax: ++ 32 (0) 9 264 35 92
Web page: http://www.ugent.be/eb
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aerts, Walter & Cormier, Denis & Magnan, Michel, 2008. "Corporate environmental disclosure, financial markets and the media: An international perspective," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(3), pages 643-659, January.
- Gray, Rob, 2002. "The social accounting project and Accounting Organizations and Society Privileging engagement, imaginings, new accountings and pragmatism over critique?," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 27(7), pages 687-708, October.
- Susanne Arvidsson, 2010. "Communication of Corporate Social Responsibility: A Study of the Views of Management Teams in Large Companies," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 96(3), pages 339-354, October.
- Sung-ko Li & Léopold Simar & Paul Wilson & Valentin Zelenyuk, 2008. "Introduction for Journal of Productivity Analysis special issue on transitioning economics," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 29(2), pages 77-77, April.
- Jan Bebbington, 2009. "Initiating sustainable development reporting: evidence from New Zealand," Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 22(4), pages 588-625, July.
- Cowen, Scott S. & Ferreri, Linda B. & Parker, Lee D., 1987. "The impact of corporate characteristics on social responsibility disclosure: A typology and frequency-based analysis," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 111-122, March.
- Ataur Rahman Belal, 2007. "The views of corporate managers on the current state of, and future prospects for, social reporting in Bangladesh," Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 20(3), pages 472-494, August.
- A. E. Fernández Jilberto, 1991. "Introduction," International Journal of Political Economy, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 21(1), pages 3-9, April.
- Shilbury, David & Popi Sotiriadou, Kalliopi & Christine Green, B., 2008. "Sport Development. Systems, Policies and Pathways: An Introduction to the Special Issue," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 217-223, November.
- Teoh, Hai-Yap & Thong, Gregory, 1984. "Another look at corporate social responsibility and reporting: An empirical study in a developing country," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 189-206, June.
- Neu, D. & Warsame, H. & Pedwell, K., 1998. "Managing public impressions: environmental disclosures in annual reports," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 265-282, April.
- Caro-González, Francisco Javier & Correa-Ruiz, Carmen & Carrasco-Fenech, Francisco & Larrinaga-González, Carlos & Páez-Sandubete, José María, 1999. "The role of environmental accounting in international change: an exploration of Spanish companies," DEE - Working Papers. Business Economics. WB 6434, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía de la Empresa.
- Patten, Dennis M., 2002. "The relation between environmental performance and environmental disclosure: a research note," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 27(8), pages 763-773, November.
- Evangeline Elijido-Ten, 2010. "Extending the application of stakeholder influence strategies to environmental disclosures," Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 23(8), pages 1032-1059, December.
- Hans-Ulrich Derlien & B. Guy Peters, 2008. "Introduction," Chapters, in: The State at Work, Volume 2, chapter 1 Edward Elgar Publishing.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rug:rugwps:11/721. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nathalie Verhaeghe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.