Residential Natural Gas Demand Elasticities in OECD Countries: An ARDL Bounds Testing Approach
In this paper we analyze residential natural gas demand in twelve OECD countries using time series data from 1980 to 2008. We estimate long-run demand elasticities with regard to real disposable income and real residential price of natural gas using the autoregressive distributed lag (ARDL) bounds testing procedure (Pesaran and Shin, 1999). The robustness of the long-run estimates is checked by additionally considering the FMOLS and DOLS estimators. By employing an error correction framework we also obtain estimates for the speeds of adjustment to long-run equilibrium and short-run elasticities for the individual countries. The effect of weather conditions on natural gas demand in a given year is accounted for by including heating degree days as a control variable. On average, the long-run elasticities are 0.94 with regard to income, –0.51 with regard to price and 1.35 with regard to weather. The short-run dynamics assessed by estimation of the error correction models indicate an average adjustment coefficient of –0.58, a short-run income elasticity of 0.45, a short-run price elasticity of –0.24, and a short-run weather elasticity of 0.72. Hence, on average, the short-run elasticities are approximately half in magnitude compared to their long-run counterparts.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.eonerc.rwth-aachen.de/fcn|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- MacKinnon, James G, 1996.
"Numerical Distribution Functions for Unit Root and Cointegration Tests,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(6), pages 601-618, Nov.-Dec..
- James G. MacKinnon, 1995. "Numerical Distribution Functions for Unit Root and Cointegration Tests," Working Papers 918, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Frank Asche & Odd Bjarte Nilsen & Ragnar Tveteras, 2008. "Natural Gas Demand in the European Household Sector," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 3), pages 27-46.
- Graham Elliott & Thomas J. Rothenberg & James H. Stock, 1992.
"Efficient Tests for an Autoregressive Unit Root,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0130, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Saikkonen, Pentti, 1992. "Estimation and Testing of Cointegrated Systems by an Autoregressive Approximation," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(01), pages 1-27, March.
- Berkhout, Peter H. G. & Ferrer-i-Carbonell, Ada & Muskens, Jos C., 2004. "The ex post impact of an energy tax on household energy demand," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 297-317, May.
- Peter C. B. Phillips & Bruce E. Hansen, 1990. "Statistical Inference in Instrumental Variables Regression with I(1) Processes," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 57(1), pages 99-125.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:fcnwpa:2011_015. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hendrik Schmitz)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.