Too Many Municipalities?
Does democracy lead to the creation of too many municipalities? We analyze this issue within the context of the Alesina and Spolare (1996) model where the quality of municipal services deteriorates with the distance from the center of a municipality. Individuals can vote in a referendum to split an existing municipality. We show that social welfare will decline when municipalities are split if the level of the public service, as chosen by the median voter, is lower in the new smaller municipalities. In general, the model indicates that there may be a democratic bias in favour of creating too many municipalities.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 8-14 HM Tory, Edmonton, Alberta, T6G 2H4|
Phone: (780) 492-3406
Fax: (780) 492-3300
Web page: http://www.ualberta.ca/economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- BOGOMOLNAIA, Anna & LE BRETON, Michel & SAVVATEEV, Alexei & WEBER, Shlomo, 2005.
"Stability of jurisdiction structures under the equal share and median rules,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2005032, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Anna Bogomolnaia & Michel Breton & Alexei Savvateev & Shlomo Weber, 2008. "Stability of jurisdiction structures under the equal share and median rules," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 34(3), pages 525-543, March.
- Bogomolnaia, Anna & Le Breton, Michel & Savvateev, Alexei & Weber, Shlomo, 2005. "Stability of Jurisdiction Structures under the Equal Share and Median Rule," IDEI Working Papers 362, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Alberto Alesina & Enrico Spolaore, 1997.
"On the Number and Size of Nations,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 112(4), pages 1027-1056.
- Haimanko, Ori & Le Breton, Michel & Weber, Shlomo, 2004.
"Voluntary formation of communities for the provision of public projects,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 1-34, March.
- Haimanko, Ori & Le Breton, Michel & Weber, Shlomo, 2003. "Voluntary Formation of Communities for the Provision of Public Projects," IDEI Working Papers 169, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Goyal, S. & Staal, K., 1999.
"The political economy of regionalism,"
Econometric Institute Research Papers
EI 9957-/A, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Sanjeev Goyal & Klaas Staal, 2000. "The Political Economy of Regionalism," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0287, Econometric Society.
- Sanjeev Goyal & Klaas Staal, 2000. "The Political Economy of Regionalism," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 00-014/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Epple, Dennis & Romer, Thomas, 1989. "On the flexibility of municipal boundaries," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 307-319, November.
- Patrick Bolton & Gérard Roland, 1997. "The Breakup of Nations: A Political Economy Analysis," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(4), pages 1057-1090.
- Carey, Malachy & Srinivasan, Ashok & Strauss, Robert P., 1996. "Optimal consolidation of municipalities: An analysis of alternative designs," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 103-119, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:albaec:2009_018. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joseph Marchand)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.