Know Thyself: Self Awareness and Utility Misprediction in Discounting Models of Intertemporal Choice
This review critically discusses the theoretical models of discounting through a selection of papers. It will focus on the comparison between the two major models, namely discounted utility and hyperbolic discounting. This paper differs from previous surveys in the attention given to the interpretation of models and suggestions for future research. First, it stresses how the economics literature is biased itself, since it considers only present-biased preferences on the basis of not well grounded evidence, while also future-biased preferences are worthwhile of attention to address relevant issues, like compulsive behaviors and work-life unbalance. Second, it makes qualifications on the meaning of self-awareness, distinguishing between cognitive boundaries and beliefs. Third, it suggests future direction of research to address this issue, fundamental for a sound policy analysis, by showing how the two main welfare criteria used in the literature to evaluate welfare of inconsistent individuals (long-run utility and Pareto criterion) have relevant shortcomings. Finally, it proposes a new perspective on misprediction of utility based on time perception
|Date of creation:||18 Dec 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 0543 62327
Fax: +39 0543 374676
Web page: http://www.aiccon.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Loewenstein, George F & Sicherman, Nachum, 1991. "Do Workers Prefer Increasing Wage Profiles?," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 9(1), pages 67-84, January.
- Diamond, Peter & Koszegi, Botond, 2003. "Quasi-hyperbolic discounting and retirement," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(9-10), pages 1839-1872, September.
- Salanie, Francois & Treich, Nicolas, 2006.
"Over-savings and hyperbolic discounting,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 50(6), pages 1557-1570, August.
- Ted O' Donoghue and Matthew Rabin., 2000.
"Choice and Procrastination,"
Economics Working Papers
E00-281, University of California at Berkeley.
- O'Donoghue, Ted & Rabin, Matthew, 2000. "Choice and Procrastination," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt5r26k54p, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Ted O' Donoghue & Matthew Rabin, 2001. "Choice and Procrastination," Microeconomics 0012002, EconWPA.
- Jonathan Gruber & Botond Köszegi, 2001. "Is Addiction "Rational"? Theory And Evidence," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 116(4), pages 1261-1303, November.
- Jevons, William Stanley, 1871. "The Theory of Political Economy," History of Economic Thought Books, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, number jevons1871.
- O'Donoghue, Ted & Rabin, Matthew, 2006.
"Optimal sin taxes,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 90(10-11), pages 1825-1849, November.
- Read, Daniel, 2001. " Is Time-Discounting Hyperbolic or Subadditive?," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 23(1), pages 5-32, July.
- Tirole, Jean, 2002. "Rational irrationality: Some economics of self-management," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(4-5), pages 633-655, May.
- Goldman, Steven Marc, 1979. "Intertemporally Inconsistent Preferences and the Rate of Consumption," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(3), pages 621-26, May.
- Ted O'Donoghue & Matthew Rabin, 2003. "Studying Optimal Paternalism, Illustrated by a Model of Sin Taxes," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(2), pages 186-191, May.
- Laibson, David I., 1997.
"Golden Eggs and Hyperbolic Discounting,"
4481499, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Stigler, George J & Becker, Gary S, 1977. "De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(2), pages 76-90, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:aiccon:2008_057. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paolo Venturi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.