A Flexible Inventory Model for Municipal Solid Waste Recycling
Most of the United States have laws mandating the recycling of municipal solid waste (MSW). In order to comply, municipalities recycle quotas of materials, without regard to fluctuating prices. An inventory system is proposed that allows municipalities to be sensitive to materials prices as they recycle in accordance with state mandates. A dynamic model is developed; it uses historical secondary material prices as exogenous inputs to minimize the net present value of MSW recycling system cost. The model provides a cost-effective method for municipalities to achieve their MSW recycling targets. The savings is approximately $1.43 per ton of MSW generated based on total MSW management costs of $13.5 per ton. The model also allows one to investigate the effectiveness of various strategies for increasing the recycling rate. These strategies include: reducing the transportation cost for recyclables, supporting the market price of selected secondary materials, and landfill bans on selected materials. This model may also be used to investigate the effect of market price changes on the portfolio of materials held in inventory for recycling.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- P. Starreveld & Ekko Ierland, 1994. "Recycling of plastics: A materials balance optimisation model," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 4(3), pages 251-264, June.
- Palmer, Karen & Sigman, Hilary & Walls, Margaret, 1997.
"The Cost of Reducing Municipal Solid Waste,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 128-150, June.
- Palmer, Karen & Walls, Margaret & Sigman, Hilary, 1996. "The Cost of Reducing Municipal Solid Waste," Discussion Papers dp-96-35, Resources For the Future.
- van der Laan, Erwin & Dekker, Rommert & Salomon, Marc & Ridder, Ad, 1996. "An (s, Q) inventory model with remanufacturing and disposal," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 339-350, December.
- Masui, T. & Morita, T. & Kyogoku, J., 2000. "Analysis of recycling activities using multi-sectoral economic model with material flow," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 122(2), pages 405-415, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rff:dpaper:dp-02-48. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.