Intercity interactions: evidence from the US
Using national level input-output matrices, we propose a strategy to identify pecuniary externalities operating through the markets for intermediate goods at the local level. Then, controlling for common shocks in a spatial econometric framework, (i) we estimate the eÂ®ect of pecuniary externalities on productivity growth; (ii) we disentangle such eÂ®ect from the one of other local interactions (i.e. knowledge or other face-to-face spillovers) and that of local characteristics; (iii) we evaluate the scope of operating of all kind of externalities using diÂ®erent distance measures. Our estimates suggest that pecuniary externalities and other kinds of local interactions coexist, that their eÂ®ect on productivity growth is decreasing with distance and that it depends on inter-city diversity and the pattern of local specialisation
|Date of creation:||03 Dec 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/society.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Domenico Giannone & Michèle Lenza, 2009.
"The Feldstein-Horioka Fact,"
Working Papers ECARES
2009_022, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Giannone, Domenico & Lenza, Michele, 2004. "The Feldstein-Horioka Fact," CEPR Discussion Papers 4610, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Domenico Giannone & Michele Lenza, 2009. "The Feldstein-Horioka fact," NBER Working Papers 15519, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giannone, Domenico & Lenza, Michele, 2008. "The Feldstein-Horioka fact," Working Paper Series 0873, European Central Bank.
- Forni, Mario & Hallin, Marc & Lippi, Marco & Reichlin, Lucrezia, 1999.
"The Generalized Dynamic Factor Model: Identification and Estimation,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2338, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mario Forni & Marc Hallin & Marco Lippi & Lucrezia Reichlin, 2000. "The Generalized Dynamic-Factor Model: Identification And Estimation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(4), pages 540-554, November.
- Mario Forni & Marc Hallin & Lucrezia Reichlin & Marco Lippi, 2000. "The generalised dynamic factor model: identification and estimation," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/10143, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Timothy G. Conley & Bill Dupor, 2003. "A Spatial Analysis of Sectoral Complementarity," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 111(2), pages 311-352, April.
- Forni, Mario & Lippi, Marco, 1997. "Aggregation and the Microfoundations of Dynamic Macroeconomics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198288008, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:red:sed006:667. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.