Matching and the Estimated Impact of Inter-listing (updated July 2003)
sing 1998 trade and quote data for securities listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange, this paper employs nonparametric estimation to measure the effect of being interlisted on a US exchange on: (i) the daily number of trades, trading volume, and dollar trading volume; (ii) the number of inside quote revisions and the percentage bid-ask spread; (iii) registered trader gross trading revenues; (iv) composition of order flow between orders submitted for client, non-client, and registered trader accounts. Unlike previous studies, I use kernel-based matching estimates in addition to variants of the standard nearest-neighbor approach for constructing matched samples of interlisted stocks and non-interlisted stocks. I explore the sensitivity of results to: (i) using different bandwidth parameters and caliper-matching criteria; (ii) using different matching characteristics; (iii) the exclusion/inclusion of firms. I highlight instances when kernel-based and nearest-neighbor matching estimation techniques produce significantly different results and thereby argue that results based on standard matching techniques commonly employed in the finance literature should be interpreted cautiously.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2001|
|Date of revision:||Jun 2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (0) 118 378 8226
Fax: +44 (0) 118 975 0236
Web page: http://www.henley.reading.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hamilton, James L, 1979. "Marketplace Fragmentation, Competition, and the Efficiency of the Stock Exchange," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 34(1), pages 171-87, March.
- Christie William G. & Huang Roger D., 1994. "Market Structures and Liquidity: A Transactions Data Study of Exchange Listings," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 300-326, June.
- Domowitz, Ian & Glen, Jack & Madhavan, Ananth, 1997. " Market Segmentation and Stock Prices: Evidence from an Emerging Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(3), pages 1059-85, July.
- Kahle, Kathleen M. & Walkling, Ralph A., 1996. "The Impact of Industry Classifications on Financial Research," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 31(03), pages 309-335, September.
- Noronha, Gregory M. & Sarin, Atulya & Saudagaran, Shahrokh M., 1996. "Testing for micro-structure effects of international dual listings using intraday data," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 965-983, July.
- Heckman, James J & Ichimura, Hidehiko & Todd, Petra E, 1997. "Matching as an Econometric Evaluation Estimator: Evidence from Evaluating a Job Training Programme," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 64(4), pages 605-54, October.
- Bessembinder, Hendrik & Kaufman, Herbert M., 1997. "A Comparison of Trade Execution Costs for NYSE and NASDAQ-Listed Stocks," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 32(03), pages 287-310, September.
- Barber, Brad M. & Lyon, John D., 1996. "Detecting abnormal operating performance: The empirical power and specification of test statistics," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 359-399, July.
- Mendelson, Haim, 1987. "Consolidation, Fragmentation, and Market Performance," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(02), pages 189-207, June.
- Bacidore, Jeffrey M. & Sofianos, George, 2002. "Liquidity provision and specialist trading in NYSE-listed non-U.S. stocks," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 133-158, January.
- Mittoo, Usha R, 1992. " Additional Evidence on Integration in the Canadian Stock Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(5), pages 2035-54, December.
- Clyde, Paul & Schultz, Paul & Zaman, Mir, 1997. " Trading Costs and Exchange Delisting: The Case of Firms That Voluntarily Move from the American Stock Exchange to the Nasdaq," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(5), pages 2103-12, December.
- Foerster, Stephen R. & Karolyi, G. Andrew, 1998. "Multimarket trading and liquidity: a transaction data analysis of Canada-US interlistings," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 8(3-4), pages 393-412, December.
- Erik Lie, 2001. "Detecting Abnormal Operating Performance: Revisited," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 30(2), Summer.
- Barclay, Michael J., 1997. "Bid-ask spreads and the avoidance of odd-eighth quotes on Nasdaq: An examination of exchange listings," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 35-60, July.
- Kathleen M. Kahle & Ralph A. Walkling, . "The Impact of Industry Classifications on Financial Research," Research in Financial Economics 9607, Ohio State University.
- Kumar Venkataraman, 2001. "Automated Versus Floor Trading: An Analysis of Execution Costs on the Paris and New York Exchanges," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(4), pages 1445-1485, 08.
- Huang, Roger D. & Stoll, Hans R., 1996. "Dealer versus auction markets: A paired comparison of execution costs on NASDAQ and the NYSE," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 313-357, July.
- Bessembinder, Hendrik, 1999. "Trade Execution Costs on NASDAQ and the NYSE: A Post-Reform Comparison," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 34(03), pages 387-407, September.
- Jim Angel & Reena Aggarwal, . "Optimal Listing Strategy: Why Microsoft and Intel Do Not List on the NYSE," Working Papers _007, Georgetown School of Business.
- Ahn, Hee-Joon & Cao, Charles Q. & Choe, Hyuk, 1998. "Decimalization and competition among stock markets: Evidence from the Toronto Stock Exchange cross-listed securities," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 51-87, April.
- Stephen R Foerster & G Andrew Karolyi, 1993. "International Listings of Stocks: The Case of Canada and the U.S," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(4), pages 763-784, December.
- Farrell, Kathleen A & Whidbee, David A, 2000. "The Consequences of Forced CEO Succession for Outside Directors," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 73(4), pages 597-627, October.
- Davies, Ryan J., 2003. "The Toronto Stock Exchange preopening session," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 491-516, August.
- Heckman, James J & Ichimura, Hidehiko & Todd, Petra, 1998. "Matching as an Econometric Evaluation Estimator," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 65(2), pages 261-94, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rdg:icmadp:icma-dp2001-11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ed Quick)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.