Technology Support for Small Industries in Developing Countries: From 'Supply-Push' to 'Eightfold-C: '
The paper is a review of approaches towards technology support for small-scale manufacturing enterprises in developing countries since the 1970s. Early programmes tended to suffer from a number of weaknesses, emanating from inadequate conceptualisation of small firm' competitiveness and the role of the small-scale sector in industrial development, as well as from lack of practical experience with project implementation. However, in recent years important advancements have been made on all these fronts. The paper discusses eight characteristics of recent technology assistance programmes that have tended to be associated with project success. Broadly, successful projects are those that embrace the notion that durable competitiveness of small producers in a competitive economic environment requires that they develop internal capabilities to effectively asssimilate, use, and adapt product and process technologies on an ongoing basis. Key words: technology support, small-scale enterprises, technological capability, competitiveness, assistance projects, industrialisation.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (1865) 281800
Fax: +44 (1865) 281801
Web page: http://www.qeh.ox.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Boomgard, James J. & Davies, Stephen P. & Haggblade, Steven J. & Mead, Donald C., 1992. "A subsector approach to small enterprise promotion and research," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 199-212, February.
- Haggblade, Steven & Liedholm, Carl & Mead, Donald C., 1986. "The Effect of Policy and Policy Reforms on Non-Agricultural Enterprises and Employment in Developing Countries: A Review of Past Experiences," Food Security International Development Working Papers 54744, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- M-R Cho, 1997. "Large-Small Firm Networks: A Foundation of the New Globalizing Economy in South Korea," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 29(6), pages 1091-1108, June.
- Humphrey, John & Schmitz, Hubert, 1996. "The Triple C approach to local industrial policy," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(12), pages 1859-1877, December.
- Tendler, Judith & Amorim, Monica Alves, 1996. "Small firms and their helpers: Lessons on demand," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 407-426, March.
- Schmitz, Hubert, 1995. "Small shoemakers and fordist giants: Tale of a supercluster," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 9-28, January.
- Francks, Penelope, 1979. "The development of new techniques in agriculture: The case of the mechanization of irrigation in the Saga Plain area of Japan," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 7(4-5), pages 531-539.
- M-R Cho, 1997. "Large - small firm networks: a foundation of the new globalizing economy in South Korea," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 29(6), pages 1091-1108, June.
- Banji Oyelaran-Oyeyinka, 1997. "Technological learning in African industry: A study of engineering firms in Nigeria," Science and Public Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 24(5), pages 309-318, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qeh:qehwps:qehwps21. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rachel Crawford)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.