Compensation and the Abandoned Property of the 1948 Palestinian Refugees: Assessment and Implications
This paper extends the analysis of "Agricultural Property and the 1948 Palestinian Refugees: Assessing the Loss" (Lewis 1996) to non-agricultural property. The estimate is based mainly on the area of urban property abandoned by refugees, where valuations are based on contemporary transfer prices, tax payable on the property, and inferences about rent. The amounts are much higher than those derived by the United Nations Conciliation Commission in 1951. Still the total implied by this paper and (Lewis 1996) is such that if Israel were to pay the overall loss as compensation, the transfers are unlikely to have a serious impact on their economy
|Date of creation:||Dec 2006|
|Publication status:||Forthcoming in Explorations in Economic History|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kingston, Ontario, K7L 3N6|
Phone: (613) 533-2250
Fax: (613) 533-6668
Web page: http://qed.econ.queensu.ca/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael B. Devereux & Gregor W. Smith, 2005.
"Transfer Problem Dynamics: Macroeconomics of the Franco-Prussian War Indemnity,"
1025, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Devereux, Michael B. & Smith, Gregor W., 2007. "Transfer problem dynamics: Macroeconomics of the Franco-Prussian war indemnity," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(8), pages 2375-2398, November.
- Michael B. Devereux & Gregor W. Smith, 2004. "Transfer Problem Dynamics: Macroeonomics of the Franco-Prussian War Indemnity," Working Papers 022004, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Lewis, Frank D., 1996. "Agricultural Property and the 1948 Palestinian Refugees: Assessing the Loss," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 169-194, April.
- Brakman,Steven & Marrewijk,Charles van, 1998.
"The Economics of International Transfers,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521572149, December.
- Metzer,Jacob, 1998. "The Divided Economy of Mandatory Palestine," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521465502, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qed:wpaper:1117. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Babcock)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.