Fiscal Policies For Mining (Gold) In The Pacific Islands
This report develops a model to evaluate and formulate policy measures for the mineral (gold) sector and examines some issues which may be significant from the perspective of the government decision makers in resource rich developing countries. An appraisal methodology is outlined for financial, economic and social analysis of a mining project and detailed guidelines are presented for applying it. Techniques for computing some important parameters are also laid down. For the sake of illustration, the methodology is then applied to data for the ‘Misima’ mine in Papua New Guinea. An examination is carried out of the impact of royalties on high grading, the significance of particular debt-equity ratios from the points of view of both the firm’s earnings and the government revenue and the effects of domestic and world inflation rates.
|Date of creation:||Mar 1990|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kingston, Ontario, K7L 3N6|
Phone: (613) 533-2250
Fax: (613) 533-6668
Web page: http://www.econ.queensu.ca/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aaron, Henry J, 1976. "Inflation and the Income Tax," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(2), pages 193-199, May.
- Garnaut, Ross & Clunies-Ross, Anthony, 1983. "Taxation of Mineral Rents," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198284543, April.
- Harberger, Arnold C, 1978.
"On the Use of Distributional Weights in Social Cost-Benefit Analysis,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(2), pages 87-120, April.
- Arnold C. Harberger, 1978. "On the Use of Distributional Weights in Social Cost-Benefit Analysis," NBER Chapters,in: Research in Taxation, pages 87-120 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bird, Richard M., 1989. "Taxation in Papua New Guinea: Backwards to the future?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 17(8), pages 1145-1157, August.
- Glenn Jenkins, 1986. "Taxation Of State-Owned Enterprises," Development Discussion Papers 1986-01, JDI Executive Programs.
- Robert Conrad & Malcolm Gillis & Glenn Jenkins, 1980. "Taxation And The Development Of The Mining Sector In Developing Countries," Development Discussion Papers 1980-12, JDI Executive Programs.
- Glenn Jenkins, 1977. "Inflation - Its Financial Impact On Business In Canada," Development Discussion Papers 1977-04, JDI Executive Programs. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qed:dpaper:84. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bahman Kashi)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.