Cost-benefit analysis according to Sen: An application in the evaluation of transport infrastructures in France
Made compulsory in France for major transport infrastructures, cost-benefit analysis is constantly being improved to achieve the best socio-economic evaluation possible. According to the philosopher and economist Amartya Sen, this analysis should meet two requirements: one ethical, the other democratic. We will examine the evaluation procedure in France and highlight the gap between its officially more democratic character and its still insufficiently ethical character, from the viewpoint of this dual requirement.
Volume (Year): 46 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/547/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arnold C. Harberger, 1978.
"On the Use of Distributional Weights in Social Cost-Benefit Analysis,"
in: Research in Taxation, pages 87-120
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Harberger, Arnold C, 1978. "On the Use of Distributional Weights in Social Cost-Benefit Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(2), pages 87-120, April.
- Amartya Sen, 1996.
"Maximization and the Act of Choice,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1766, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Joseph Persky, 2001. "Cost-Benefit Analysis and the Classical Creed," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(4), pages 199-208, Fall.
- Harberger, Arnold C, 1971. "Three Basic Postulates for Applied Welfare Economics: An Interpretive Essay," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 9(3), pages 785-797, September.
- Robin Boadway, 1974. "A Note on the Welfare Foundations of Cost-Benefit Analysis," Working Papers 149, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Sen, Amartya, 2000. "The Discipline of Cost-Benefit Analysis," The Journal of Legal Studies, University of Chicago Press, vol. 29(2), pages 931-952, June.
- Eliasson, Jonas, 2009. "A cost-benefit analysis of the Stockholm congestion charging system," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 43(4), pages 468-480, May.
- Mishan, E J, 1974. "Flexibility and Consistency in Project Evaluation," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 41(161), pages 81-96, February.
- Rotaris, Lucia & Danielis, Romeo & Marcucci, Edoardo & Massiani, Jérôme, 2010. "The urban road pricing scheme to curb pollution in Milan, Italy: Description, impacts and preliminary cost-benefit analysis assessment," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 44(5), pages 359-375, June.
- John V. Krutilla, 1961. "Welfare Aspects of Benefit-Cost Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 69, pages 226-226.
- El-Hifnawi, M. B., 2002. "Cross-town bus routes as a solution for decentralized travel: a cost-benefit analysis for Monterrey, Mexico," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 127-144, February.
- Greene, David L. & Duleep, K. G., 1993. "Costs and benefits of automative fuel economy improvement: A partial analysis," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 217-235, May.
- Quinet, E., 2000. "Evaluation methodologies of transportation projects in France," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 27-34, January.
- Mishan, Ezra J, 1976. "The Use of Compensating and Equivalent Variations in Cost-Benefit Analysis," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 43(17), pages 185-197, May.
- E. J. Mishan, 1952. "The Principles of Compensation Reconsidered," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 60, pages 312-312.
- Gao, Song & Frejinger, Emma & Ben-Akiva, Moshe, 2011. "Cognitive cost in route choice with real-time information: An exploratory analysis," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 45(9), pages 916-926, November.
- Tudela, Alejandro & Akiki, Natalia & Cisternas, Rene, 2006. "Comparing the output of cost benefit and multi-criteria analysis: An application to urban transport investments," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 40(5), pages 414-423, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:transa:v:46:y:2012:i:4:p:707-719. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.