Cost-Benefit Analysis for Investment Decisions: Chapter 15 (Cost-Effectiveness and Cost-Utility Analysis)
Non-tradable items are those which are not traded internationally. They include items such as services where the demander and producer must be in the same location, and commodities which have low value relative to either their weight or volume. In such cases the transportation charges prevent producers from profitably exporting their goods. Typically, non-tradable goods include such items as electricity, water supply, all public services, hotel accommodation, real estate, construction, local transportation; goods with very high transportation costs such as gravel; and commodities produced to meet special customs or conditions of the country. The key element to be borne in mind when considering the tradable and non-tradable classification is where the price for the good (or service) in question is determined. If this determination takes place in the world market, the good should be considered tradable. If the setting of the price takes place by supply and demand in the local market, the good should be considered non-tradable. This chapter describes how the economic prices of non-tradable goods and services are estimated.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kingston, Ontario, K7L 3N6|
Phone: (613) 533-2250
Fax: (613) 533-6668
Web page: http://www.econ.queensu.ca/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Armin Zeinali & Glenn P. Jenkins & Andrey Klevchuk, 2009.
"Infrastructure Choices in Education: Location, Build or Repair,"
1204, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Armin Zeinali & Glenn Jenkins & Andrey Klevchuk, 2009. "Infrastructure Choices in Education: Location, Build or Repair," Development Discussion Papers 2009-02, JDI Executive Programs.
- repec:reg:rpubli:282 is not listed on IDEAS
- W. Kip Viscusi & Joseph E. Aldy, 2003.
"The Value of a Statistical Life: A Critical Review of Market Estimates throughout the World,"
NBER Working Papers
9487, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Viscusi, W Kip & Aldy, Joseph E, 2003. "The Value of a Statistical Life: A Critical Review of Market Estimates throughout the World," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 5-76, August.
- Garber, Alan M. & Phelps, Charles E., 1997. "Economic foundations of cost-effectiveness analysis," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 1-31, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qed:dpaper:208. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bahman Kashi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.