Unrelated medical care in life years gained and the cost utility of primary prevention: in search of a ‘perfect’ cost–utility ratio
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Garber, Alan M. & Phelps, Charles E., 1997. "Economic foundations of cost-effectiveness analysis," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 1-31, February.
- Weinstein, Milton & Zeckhauser, Richard, 1973. "Critical ratios and efficient allocation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 147-157, April.
- Gandjour, Afschin & Lauterbach, Karl Wilhelm, 2005. "Does prevention save costs?: Considering deferral of the expensive last year of life," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 715-724, July.
- Braden Manns & David Meltzer & Ken Taub & Cam Donaldson, 2003. "Illustrating the impact of including future costs in economic evaluations: an application to end‐stage renal disease care," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(11), pages 949-958, November.
- Melse, J.M. & Essink-Bot, M.-L. & Kramers, P.G.N. & Hoeymans, N., 2000. "A national burden of disease calculation: Dutch disability-adjusted life-years," American Journal of Public Health, American Public Health Association, vol. 90(8), pages 1241-1247.
- Birch, Stephen & Gafni, Amiram, 1992. "Cost effectiveness/utility analyses : Do current decision rules lead us to where we want to be?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 279-296, October.
- Dorte Gyrd‐Hansen & Jes Søggard & Ole Kronborg, 1998. "Colorectal cancer screening: efficiency and effectiveness," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(1), pages 9-20, February.
- Maiwenn J. Al & Talitha L. Feenstra & Ben A. van Hout, 2005. "Optimal allocation of resources over health care programmes: dealing with decreasing marginal utility and uncertainty," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(7), pages 655-667, July.
- Meltzer, David, 1997. "Accounting for future costs in medical cost-effectiveness analysis," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 33-64, February.
- Seshamani, Meena & Gray, Alastair M., 2004. "A longitudinal study of the effects of age and time to death on hospital costs," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 217-235, March.
- David Meltzer, 1997. "Accounting for Future Costs in Medical Cost-Effectiveness Analysis," NBER Working Papers 5946, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Elamin H. Elbasha & Mark L. Messonnier, 2004. "Cost‐effectiveness analysis and health care resource allocation: decision rules under variable returns to scale," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(1), pages 21-35, January.
- John A. Nyman, 2004. "Should the consumption of survivors be included as a cost in cost–utility analysis?," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(5), pages 417-427, May.
- Karlsson, Göran & Johannesson, Magnus, 1998. "Cost-effectiveness analysis and capital costs," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 46(9), pages 1183-1191, May.
- Eugene M. Laska & Morris Meisner & Carole Siegel, 1997. "Statistical Inference for Cost–Effectiveness Ratios," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(3), pages 229-242, May.
- Weinstein, Milton C. & Manning, Willard Jr., 1997. "Theoretical issues in cost-effectiveness analysis," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 121-128, February.
- Raymond C.W. Hutubessy & Rob M.P.M. Baltussen & David B. Evans & Jan J. Barendregt & Christopher J.L. Murray, 2001. "Stochastic league tables: communicating cost‐effectiveness results to decision‐makers," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(5), pages 473-477, July.
- Olsen, Jan Abel & Richardson, Jeff, 1999. "Production gains from health care: what should be included in cost-effectiveness analyses?," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 17-26, July.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Albert Wong & Pieter H. M. van Baal & Hendriek C. Boshuizen & Johan J. Polder, 2011. "Exploring the influence of proximity to death on disease‐specific hospital expenditures: a carpaccio of red herrings," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(4), pages 379-400, April.
- Pieter H. M. van Baal & Talitha L. Feenstra & Johan J. Polder & Rudolf T. Hoogenveen & Werner B. F. Brouwer, 2011.
"Economic evaluation and the postponement of health care costs,"
Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(4), pages 432-445, April.
- van Baal, P.H. & Feenstra, T.L. & Polder, J.J. & Hoogenveen, R.T. & Brouwer, W., 2011. "Economic evaluation and the postponement of health care costs," Other publications TiSEM ee3d1a20-234a-46d7-8acd-d, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Luqman Tariq & Matthijs van den Berg & Rudolf T Hoogenveen & Pieter H M van Baal, 2009. "Cost-Effectiveness of an Opportunistic Screening Programme and Brief Intervention for Excessive Alcohol Use in Primary Care," PLOS ONE, Public Library of Science, vol. 4(5), pages 1-8, May.
- Kanters, Tim A. & Brouwer, Werner B.F. & van Vliet, René C.J.A. & van Baal, Pieter H.M. & Polder, Johan J., 2013. "A new prevention paradox: The trade-off between reducing incentives for risk selection and increasing the incentives for prevention for health insurers," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 76(C), pages 150-158.
- Afschin Gandjour & Dirk Müller, 2014. "Ethical Objections Against Including Life-Extension Costs in Cost-Effectiveness Analysis: A Consistent Approach," Applied Health Economics and Health Policy, Springer, vol. 12(5), pages 471-476, October.
- Dieter Tscheulin & Florian Drevs, 2010. "The relevance of unrelated costs internal and external to the healthcare sector to the outcome of a cost-comparison analysis of secondary prevention: the case of general colorectal cancer screening in," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer;Deutsche Gesellschaft für Gesundheitsökonomie (DGGÖ), vol. 11(2), pages 141-150, April.
- Alec Morton & Amanda I. Adler & David Bell & Andrew Briggs & Werner Brouwer & Karl Claxton & Neil Craig & Alastair Fischer & Peter McGregor & Pieter van Baal, 2016. "Unrelated Future Costs and Unrelated Future Benefits: Reflections on NICE Guide to the Methods of Technology Appraisal," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(8), pages 933-938, August.
- Michelle Tew & Philip Clarke & Karin Thursky & Kim Dalziel, 2019. "Incorporating Future Medical Costs: Impact on Cost-Effectiveness Analysis in Cancer Patients," PharmacoEconomics, Springer, vol. 37(7), pages 931-941, July.
- Feenstra, T.L. & van Baal, P.M. & Jacobs-van der Bruggen, M.A.M. & Hoogenveen, R.T. & Kommer, G.J. & Baan, C.A., 2011. "Targeted versus universal prevention. A resource allocation model to prioritize cardiovascular prevention," Other publications TiSEM da2bcf9c-cba4-4f97-86bf-a, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Bengt Liljas, 2010. "On the welfare theoretic foundation of cost-effectiveness analysis—the case when survival is not affected," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer;Deutsche Gesellschaft für Gesundheitsökonomie (DGGÖ), vol. 11(1), pages 5-13, February.
- Linda J Cobiac & Theo Vos & J Lennert Veerman, 2010. "Cost-Effectiveness of Interventions to Promote Fruit and Vegetable Consumption," PLOS ONE, Public Library of Science, vol. 5(11), pages 1-8, November.
- James Lomas & Miqdad Asaria & Laura Bojke & Chris P. Gale & Gerry Richardson & Simon Walker, 2018. "Which Costs Matter? Costs Included in Economic Evaluation and their Impact on Decision Uncertainty for Stable Coronary Artery Disease," PharmacoEconomics - Open, Springer, vol. 2(4), pages 403-413, December.
- Vandoros, Sotiris & Carman, Katherine Grace, 2011. "Demand and pricing of preventative healthcare," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 37159, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:hlthec:v:16:y:2007:i:4:p:421-433. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley Content Delivery). General contact details of provider: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/5749 .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.