Control Of Water And Coastal Pollution An Appraisal For Espirito,Brazil
A shortage of clean drinking water, the lack of an adequate sewage system, and rapid environmental degradation from waste dumping have prompted the State of Espirito Santo in Brazil to consider expanding the water supply and sewage disposal system in the region. This paper reports on the finding of a study to appraise the viability of a project to alleviate some of the shortfall in potable water and sewage service in the State. Recommendations are developed for improved investment and operational strategies through an integrated analysis of the financial, economic, distributive and risk aspect of the project. Result of the study indicate that even through the project, in its current state, is not likely to be financially profitable, it is expected to create significant economic gains for society through the reduction in environmental pollution. Furthermore, improvements in operation and management practices that address the issue of water leakage, invoicing and collections are keys to improving the financial viability, and perhaps ultimately, the economic viability of the system. A particular challenge provided by the study has been the measurement of intangible environmental benefit and their inclusion in the projects analysis of discounted net economic benefits. Without the measure of these benefits the overall economic value produced by this project would be seriously understated.
|Date of creation:||Apr 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kingston, Ontario, K7L 3N6|
Phone: (613) 533-2250
Fax: (613) 533-6668
Web page: http://www.econ.queensu.ca/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Savvides, Savvakis C., 1994.
"Risk Analysis in Investment Appraisal,"
10035, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 14 Aug 2008.
- Jenkins, G.P., 1998.
"Evaluation of Stakeholder Impacts in Cost-Benefit Analysis,"
631, Harvard - Institute for International Development.
- Glenn Jenkins, 1999. "Evaluation of Stakeholder Impacts in Cost-Benefit Analysis," Development Discussion Papers 1999-10, JDI Executive Programs.
- Glenn Jenkins, 1995. "Potable Water Supply Expansion: The Manila South Water Distribution Project," Development Discussion Papers 1995-05, JDI Executive Programs.
- Peter A. Diamond & Jerry A. Hausman, 1994. "Contingent Valuation: Is Some Number Better than No Number?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 8(4), pages 45-64, Fall.
- Paul R. Portney, 1994. "The Contingent Valuation Debate: Why Economists Should Care," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 8(4), pages 3-17, Fall.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qed:dpaper:134. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bahman Kashi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.