Luxury Goods and the Equity Premium
This paper evaluates the equity premium using novel data on the consumption of luxury goods. Specifying household utility as a nonhomothetic function of the consumption of both a luxury good and a basic good, we derive pricing equations and evaluate the risk of holding equity. Household survey and national accounts consumption data overstate the risk aversion necessary to match the observed equity premium because they mostly reflect basic consumption. The risk aversion implied by equity returns and the consumption of luxury goods is more than an order of magnitude less than that implied by national accounts data. For the very rich, the equity premium is much less of a puzzle.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Robertson Hall, Princeton, NJ 08544-1013|
Phone: (609) 258-4800
Web page: http://wws.princeton.edu/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James Andreoni, 2001. "Giving According to GARP," Theory workshop papers 339, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Attanasio, Orazio P & Browning, Martin, 1995.
"Consumption over the Life Cycle and over the Business Cycle,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 85(5), pages 1118-1137, December.
- Orazio P. Attanasio & Martin Browning, 1993. "Consumption over the Life Cycle and over the Business Cycle," NBER Working Papers 4453, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Attanasio, O.P. & Browning, M.J., 1993. "Consumption over the life cycle and over the business cycle," Discussion Paper 1993-14, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Attanasio, O.P. & Browning, M., 1993. "Consumption Over the Life Cycle and Over the Business Cycle," Papers 9314, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pri:wwseco:dp222.pdf. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bobray Bordelon)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.