Interest and the Modern Economy
The argument that modern economies cannot function without interest is examined in detail. We show that Islamic alternatives to interest, which vary with the context and the type of loan, provide adequate substitutes. Interest based institutions lead to many types of difficulties both practical and theoretical. Islamic alternatives provide solutions to these difficulties.
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Lahore Journal of Economics 6.1(2001): pp. 113-127|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Amir-Ud-Din, Rafi, 2014. "Maqāṣid al-Sharīʿah: Are We Measuring The Immeasurable?," Islamic Economic Studies, The Islamic Research and Training Institute (IRTI), vol. 22, pages 1-32.
- Nazim Zaman & Mehmet Asutay, 2009. "Divergence Between Aspirations And Realities Of Islamic Economics: A Political Economy Approach To Bridging The Divide," IIUM Journal of Economics and Management, IIUM Journal of Economis and Management, vol. 17(1), pages 73-96, June.
- Mozaffar Qizilbash, 1996. "Capabilities, well-being and human development: A survey," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(2), pages 143-162.
- repec:pal:imfstp:v:33:y:1986:i:1:p:1-27 is not listed on IDEAS
- Martin Ravallion, 2012.
"Mashup Indices of Development,"
World Bank Research Observer,
World Bank Group, vol. 27(1), pages 1-32, February.
- Satya R. Chakravarty, 2003. "A Generalized Human Development Index," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(1), pages 99-114, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:9944. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.