Efficiency of Construction Firms in Vietnam
This paper uses both parametric and non-parametric approaches to estimate technical efficiency for 2,298 construction firms in Vietnam in the database of the 2002 Economic Census for Enterprises by the General Statistics Office of Vietnam (GSO). It is found that results from both approaches are consistent, and they could help explain the performance efficiency of these firms. Estimates from the non-parametric approach (data envelopment analysis [DEA] model) and the parametric approach (stochastic frontier production function [SFPF] model) indicate that the average pure technical efficiency of these firms was about 60 percent (58.6% and 57.8% for DEA and SFPF, respectively). Models to test the factors influencing efficiency scores in both approaches show relatively similar results that state firms were more efficient than non-state ones, and location in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh city did have impacts on efficiency scores. However, exploration of the net capital-labor ratio variable show that it did not influence efficiency scores in the DEA model, while it had clear influence in the SFPF model.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2005|
|Date of revision:||Nov 2006|
|Publication status:||Forthcoming in Nguyen Khac Minh and Giang Thanh Long (eds.), Technical Efficiency and Productivity Growth in Vietnam: Parametric and Non-parametric Analyses (2007): pp. 44-59|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wadud, Md. Abdul., 2003. "Technical, Allocative, and economic efficiency of farms in Bangladesh: a stochastic frontier and DEA approach," Journal of Developing Areas, Tennessee State University, College of Business, vol. 37(1), pages 109-126, September.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C., 1990. "Production frontiers, panel data, and time-varying technical inefficiency," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 201-211.
- Nguyen, Khac Minh & Giang, Thanh Long, 2004. "Efficiency Performance of Hospitals and Medical Centers in Vietnam," MPRA Paper 1533, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Apr 2006.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Afriat, Sidney N, 1972. "Efficiency Estimation of Production Function," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 13(3), pages 568-98, October.
- Schmidt, Peter, 1976. "On the Statistical Estimation of Parametric Frontier Production Functions," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 58(2), pages 238-39, May.
- Forsund, Finn R. & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1980. "A survey of frontier production functions and of their relationship to efficiency measurement," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 5-25, May.
- Greene, William H., 1980. "On the estimation of a flexible frontier production model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 101-115, May.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C., 1987. "The specification of technical and allocative inefficiency in stochastic production and profit frontiers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 335-348, March.
- Battese, George E. & Coelli, Tim J., 1988. "Prediction of firm-level technical efficiencies with a generalized frontier production function and panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 387-399, July.
- Richmond, J, 1974. "Estimating the Efficiency of Production," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 15(2), pages 515-21, June.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C, 1988. "Estimation of Input-Specific Technical and Allocative Inefficiency in Stochastic Frontier Models," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 40(3), pages 535-49, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:968. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.