Earthquake 2005: Some Implications for Environment and Human Capital
Loss of human capital in the form of skills and experiences is one of the outcomes of any natural hazard such as earthquake, drought, famine, and floods. Generally such losses have many implications for further growth of individuals, communities and nations. Disaster management and risk assessment has established a new need to constitute a paradigm of planning frameworks to develop modules for dealing with interactive rehabilitation and reconstruction activities. However, such management still lacks due attention in perspective of the remedy of human capital loss particularly in environmental management. This paper discusses the post-disaster situations with respect to human capital flow and stock losses and some of their implications and suggests some measures to apply in the earthquake-affected areas of Azad Kashmir and NWFP.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- McMahon, Walter W., 2000. "Education and Development: Measuring the Social Benefits," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198292319.
- Masako Ikefuji & Ryo Horii, 2007.
"Wealth Heterogeneity and Escape from the Poverty-Environment Trap,"
Journal of Public Economic Theory,
Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 9(6), pages 1041-1068, December.
- Masako Ikefuji & Ryo Horii, 2005. "Wealth Heterogeneity and Escape from the Poverty-Environment Trap," Discussion Papers in Economics and Business 05-09, Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics and Osaka School of International Public Policy (OSIPP).
- Masako Ikefuji & Ryo Horii, 2005. "Wealth Heterogeneity and Escape from the Poverty-Environment Trap," Development and Comp Systems 0505001, EconWPA.
- Robert J. Barro, 2001. "Human Capital and Growth," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 12-17, May.
- Nehru, Vikram & Swanson, Eric & Dubey, Ashutosh, 1995. "A new database on human capital stock in developing and industrial countries: Sources, methodology, and results," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 379-401, April.
- Jean-Philippe C. Stijns, 2001.
"Natural Resource Abundance and Human Capital Accumulation,"
Development and Comp Systems
- Stijns, Jean-Philippe, 2006. "Natural resource abundance and human capital accumulation," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1060-1083, June.
- Stijns, Jean-Philippe C., 2001. "Natural Resource Abundance and Human Capital Accumulation," Conference Papers 25128, University of California, Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:9519. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.