Exchange rate and trade balance linkage: sectoral evidence from Thailand based on nonlinear ARDL
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen, 1991. "Is there a long-run relation between the trade balance and the real effective exchange rate of LDCs?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 403-407, August.
- Olugbenga Onafowora, 2003. "Exchange rate and trade balance in east asia: is there a J-curve?," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 5(18), pages 1-13.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Nkenchor Neville Igue & Toyin Segun Ogunleye, 2014. "Impact of Real Exchange Rate on Trade Balance in Nigeria," African Development Review, African Development Bank, vol. 26(2), pages 347-358, June.
- Khim-sen Liew & Kian-Ping Lim & Huzaimi Hussain, 2003. "Exchange Rate and Trade Balance Relationship: The Experience of ASEAN Countries," International Trade 0307003, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Boyd, Derick & Caporale, Gugielmo Maria & Smith, Ron, 2001. "Real Exchange Rate Effects on the Balance of Trade: Cointegration and the Marshall-Lerner Condition," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(3), pages 187-200, July.
- Matthieu Bussière & Giovanni Callegari & Fabio Ghironi & Giulia Sestieri & Norihiko Yamano, 2013.
"Estimating Trade Elasticities: Demand Composition and the Trade Collapse of 2008-2009,"
American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics, American Economic Association, vol. 5(3), pages 118-151, July.
- Matthieu Bussière & Giovanni Callegari & Fabio Ghironi & Giulia Sestieri & Norihiko Yamano, 2011. "Estimating Trade Elasticities: Demand Composition and the Trade Collapse of 2008-09," NBER Working Papers 17712, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Elham Shubaita & Muhammad Mar’i & Mehdi Seraj, 2020. "Investigating in the J-curve phenomenon in Tunisia- ARDL bound test approach," Journal of Economics and Behavioral Studies, AMH International, vol. 12(5), pages 23-32.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Adznan, Syaima & Masih, Mansur, 2018. "Exchange rate and trade balance linkage: evidence from Malaysia based on ARDL and NARDL," MPRA Paper 91509, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yaya Keho, 2021. "Real Exchange Rate and Trade Balance Dynamics in Cote d’Ivoire," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 11(1), pages 61-70.
- Alhaji Jibrilla Aliyu & Shehu Mohammed Tijjani & Caroline Elliott, 2015. "Asymmetric cointegration between exchange rate and trade balance in Nigeria," Cogent Economics & Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(1), pages 1045213-104, December.
- Gan-Ochir Doojav, 2018. "The Effect of Real Exchange Rate on Trade Balance in a Resource-Rich Economy: The Case of Mongolia," Foreign Trade Review, , vol. 53(4), pages 211-224, November.
- Are, Olasubomi, 2019. "Currency Devaluation and Trade Balance Nexus: A Test of Marshall-Lerner Condition in Nigeria," BizEcons Quarterly, Strides Educational Foundation, vol. 4, pages 23-43.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Amirhossein Mohammadian, 2019. "Who benefits from euro depreciation in the euro zone?," Empirica, Springer;Austrian Institute for Economic Research;Austrian Economic Association, vol. 46(3), pages 577-595, August.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Muhammad Aftab, 2017. "Malaysia–Korea Commodity Trade: Are there Asymmetric Responses to Exchange Rate Changes?," Economic Papers, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 36(2), pages 198-222, June.
- Cheng, Ka Ming, 2020. "Currency devaluation and trade balance: Evidence from the US services trade," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 20-37.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Muhammad Ali Nasir, 2020. "Asymmetric J-curve: evidence from industry trade between U.S. and U.K," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 52(25), pages 2679-2693, May.
- Bilgin, Cevat, 2020. "Asymmetric Effects of Exchange Rate Changes on Exports: A Sectoral Nonlinear Cointegration Analysis for Turkey," MPRA Paper 101316, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Arize, Augustine C. & Malindretos, John & Igwe, Emmanuel U., 2017. "Do exchange rate changes improve the trade balance: An asymmetric nonlinear cointegration approach," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 313-326.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen & Aftab, Muhammad & Harvey, Hanafiah, 2016. "Asymmetry cointegration and the J-curve: New evidence from Malaysia-Singapore commodity trade," The Journal of Economic Asymmetries, Elsevier, vol. 14(PB), pages 211-226.
- A. Kim, 2009. "An empirical analysis of Korea's trade imbalances with the US and Japan," Journal of the Asia Pacific Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(3), pages 211-226.
- Shah, Anwar & Majeed, Muhammad Tariq, 2014. "Real Exchange Rate and Trade Balance in Pakistan: An ARDL Co-integration Approach," MPRA Paper 57674, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sajad Ahmad Bhat & Javed Ahmad Bhat, 2021. "Impact of Exchange Rate Changes on the Trade Balance of India: An Asymmetric Nonlinear Cointegration Approach," Foreign Trade Review, , vol. 56(1), pages 71-88, February.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Jia Xu, 2013. "The J-Curve and Japan--China commodity trade," Journal of Chinese Economic and Business Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(1), pages 13-28, February.
- Martin Gürtler, 2019. "Dynamic analysis of trade balance behavior in a small open economy: the J-curve phenomenon and the Czech economy," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 56(2), pages 469-497, February.
- Nektarios A. Michail, 2018. "Estimating a Bilateral J‐curve between the UK and the Euro Area," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 86(6), pages 757-769, December.
- Javed Iqbal & Misbah Nosheen & Gauhar Rehman Panezai & Salahuddin, 2021. "Asymmetric cointegration, Non‐linear ARDL, and the J‐curve: A bilateral analysis of Pakistan and its trading partners," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 26(2), pages 2263-2278, April.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen & Hajilee, Massomeh, 2009. "The J-Curve at industry level: Evidence from Sweden-US trade," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 83-92, March.
More about this item
Keywordsexchange rate; trade balance; nonlinear ARDL; Thailand;
All these keywords.
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- C58 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Financial Econometrics
- F1 - International Economics - - Trade
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ETS-2018-07-16 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-INT-2018-07-16 (International Trade)
- NEP-SEA-2018-07-16 (South East Asia)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:87541. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/vfmunde.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Joachim Winter (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/vfmunde.html .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.