Determinants of firm location choice in metropolitan cities in India: A binary Logit model analysis
The present paper tries to investigate the economic determinants of firm location choice in the metropolitan/large cities in India by considering firm those are using FDI (i.e., more than 10 percent of foreign investment) in 2012-13. For the analysis binary Logit model is used in this paper by taking firm level data from Capital Line database, Prowess database provided by CMIE (Centre for Monitoring Indian Economy) and Ace Equity plus database. The empirical estimations shows that total value of output, capital, and exports have a negative effect on firm location choice in the large cities. On the other hand, total value of working capital, operating profits, age of the firm, fixed assets, material cost, and sales of a firm have a positive effect on firm location choice in the large cities in India. However, the effect of percentage of FDI and total value of imports is found to be statistically insignificant on the firm‘s location choice. Finally, the paper discusses several policies in terms of location choice of firms in the large cities such as higher level of infrastructure investment, etc. for higher and sustainable industry lead urban development in India.
|Date of creation:||24 Sep 2016|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Somik Vinay Lall & Sanjoy Chakravorty, 2005. "Industrial Location and Spatial Inequality: Theory and Evidence from India," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(1), pages 47-68, 02.
- Krugman, Paul & Elizondo, Raul Livas, 1996.
"Trade policy and the Third World metropolis,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 137-150, April.
- Raul Livas Elizondo & Paul Krugman, 1992. "Trade Policy and the Third World Metropolis," NBER Working Papers 4238, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sridhar, Kala Seetharam & Wan, Guanghua, 2010. "Firm location choice in cities: Evidence from China, India, and Brazil," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 113-122, March.
- Sridhar, Kala Seetharam & Wan, Guanghua, 2007. "Firm Location Choice in Cities: Evidence from China, India, and Brazil," WIDER Working Paper Series 056, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Brülhart, Marius & Sbergami, Federica, 2009. "Agglomeration and growth: Cross-country evidence," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 48-63, January.
- Brülhart, Marius & Sbergami, Federica, 2008. "Agglomeration and Growth: Cross-Country Evidence," CEPR Discussion Papers 6941, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marius BRÜLHART & Federica SBERGAMI, 2008. "Agglomeration and Growth : Cross-Country Evidence," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 08.04, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Morris, Sebastian, 2004. "A Study of the Regional Determinants of Foreign Direct Investments in India, and the Case of Gujarat," IIMA Working Papers WP2004-03-07, Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad, Research and Publication Department.
- Krugman, Paul, 1991. "Increasing Returns and Economic Geography," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(3), pages 483-499, June.
- Paul Krugman, 1990. "Increasing Returns and Economic Geography," NBER Working Papers 3275, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alberto F. Ades & Edward L. Glaeser, 1995. "Trade and Circuses: Explaining Urban Giants," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 110(1), pages 195-227.
- Sanjoy Chakravorty & Jun Koo & Somik V Lall, 2005. "Do localization economies matter in cluster formation? Questioning the conventional wisdom with data from Indian metropolises," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 37(2), pages 331-353, February.
- Lall, Somik V. & Shalizi, Zmarak & Deichmann, Uwe, 2004. "Agglomeration economies and productivity in Indian industry," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 643-673, April.
- Lall, Somik & Shalizi, Zmarak & Deichmann, Uwe, 2001. "Agglomeration economies and productivity in Indian industry," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2663, The World Bank.
- World Bank, 2004. "India : Investment Climate and Manufacturing Industry," World Bank Other Operational Studies 14378, The World Bank.
- Derek K. Kellenberg, 2007. "The Provision Of Public Inputs And Foreign Direct Investment," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 25(2), pages 170-184, 04.
- Megha Mukim & Peter Nunnenkamp, 2012. "The Location Choices of Foreign Investors: A District-level Analysis in India," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(7), pages 886-918, 07.
- Mukim, Megha & Nunnenkamp, Peter, 2010. "The location choices of foreign investors: A districtlevel analysis in India," Kiel Working Papers 1628, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Sanjoy Chakravorty, 2003. "Industrial location in post-reform India: patterns of inter-regional divergence and intra-regional convergence," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(2), pages 120-152.
- Lall, Somik V. & Mengistae, Taye, 2005. "The impact of business environment and economic geography on plant-level productivity : an analysis of Indian industry," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3664, The World Bank.
- Jacob A. Jordaan, 2012. "Agglomeration and the location choice of foreign direct investment: new evidence from manufacturing FDI in Mexico," Estudios Económicos, El Colegio de México, Centro de Estudios Económicos, vol. 27(1), pages 61-97.
- Gilles Duranton, 2008. "Viewpoint: From cities to productivity and growth in developing countries," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 41(3), pages 689-736, August. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:73995. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.