Platform Competition in Pay-TV Market
In this paper, we undertake an empirical analysis of the current Japanese pay-TV market, where cable TV carriers and CS digital satellite carriers are the main players. After examining the factors for subscribing to pay-TV and the competitive situation in the market, we have the following findings; (1) Cable TV carriers promote high value-added service provision, such as bundling internet access, and these activities result in competitive superiority over CS carriers. (2) Cable TV carriers receiving bigger investment from local governments tend to gain higher rates of subscription, although they provide smaller numbers of channels with a low charge. (3) The number of terrestrial broadcasting channels which are transmitted via pay-TV carriers can have a large impact on competitive advantage when getting subscribers in the pay-TV market.
|Date of creation:||10 Nov 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chipty, Tasneem, 1995. "Horizontal Integration for Bargaining Power: Evidence from the Cable Television Industry," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(2), pages 375-97, Summer.
- Manabu Shishikura & Norihiro Kasuga & Akio Torii, 2005. "Analysis of Subscription Demand for Pay-TV," Industrial Organization 0509005, EconWPA.
- Carroll, Kathleen A & Lamdin, Douglas J, 1993. "Measuring Market Response to Regulation of the Cable TV Industry," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 385-99, December.
- Agyei Karikari, John & Brown, Stephen M. & Abramowitz, Amy D., 2003. "Subscriptions for direct broadcast satellite and cable television in the US: an empirical analysis," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 1-15, March.
- Schmidt, Stephen, 2001. "Market structure and market outcomes in deregulated rail freight markets," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 99-131, January.
- Prager, Robin A, 1992. "The Effects of Deregulating Cable Television: Evidence from the Financial Markets," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 4(4), pages 347-63, December.
- Hazlett, Thomas W, 1997. "Prices and Outputs under Cable TV Reregulation," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 12(2), pages 173-95, September.
- Clements, Michael E. & Brown, Stephen M., 2006. "The satellite home viewer improvement act: Price and quality impact of direct broadcast satellite companies' provision of local broadcast stations," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 125-135, March.
- Thomas Hazlett, 1996. "Cable Television Rate Deregulation," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(2), pages 145-164.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:5694. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.