Capital Asset Pricing Model and Stochastic Volatility: A Case study of India
Bansal and Yaron (2004) demonstrate, by calibration, that the Consumption-Based Capital Asset Pricing Model (CCAPM) can be rescued by assuming that consumption growth rate follows a stochastic volatility model. They show that the conditional equity premium is a linear function of conditional consumption and market return volatilities, which can be estimated handily by various Generalized Autoregressive Conditonal Heterskedasticity (GARCH) and Stochastic Volatility (SV) models. Using the data from India, we find that conditional consumption and market volatilities are capable of explaining cross-sectional return differences. Also, the model prediction is consistent with observed declining equity premium.
|Date of creation:||2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- PREMINGER, Arie & HAFNER, Christian M., 2006.
"Deciding between GARCH and stochastic volatility via strong decision rules,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2006042, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Arie Preminger & Christian M. Hafner, 2006. "Deciding Between Garch And Stochastic Volatility Via Strong Decision Rules," Working Papers 0603, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Department of Economics.
- Agarwalla, Sobhesh Kumar & Jacob, Joshy & Varma, Jayanth R., "undated". "Four Factor Model in Indian Equities Market," IIMA Working Papers WP2013-09-05, Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad, Research and Publication Department.
- Riccardo Colacito & Mariano M. Croce, 2011.
"Risks for the Long Run and the Real Exchange Rate,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 119(1), pages 153-181.
- Owen Lamont, 1996.
"Earnings and Expected Returns,"
NBER Working Papers
5671, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jagannathan, Ravi & Wang, Zhenyu, 1996.
" The Conditional CAPM and the Cross-Section of Expected Returns,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 51(1), pages 3-53, March.
- Ravi Jagannathan & Zhenyu Wang, 1996. "The conditional CAPM and the cross-section of expected returns," Staff Report 208, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Shanken, Jay, 1992. "On the Estimation of Beta-Pricing Models," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 5(1), pages 1-33.
- Chen, Nai-Fu & Roll, Richard & Ross, Stephen A, 1986. "Economic Forces and the Stock Market," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59(3), pages 383-403, July.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Singleton, Kenneth J, 1982. "Generalized Instrumental Variables Estimation of Nonlinear Rational Expectations Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(5), pages 1269-1286, September.
- Lars Peter Hansen & John Heaton & Nan Li, 2005.
"Consumption Strikes Back?: Measuring Long-Run Risk,"
NBER Working Papers
11476, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fama, Eugene F & MacBeth, James D, 1973. "Risk, Return, and Equilibrium: Empirical Tests," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 607-636, May-June.
- Fung, Ka Wai Terence & Lau, Chi Keung Marco & Chan, Kwok Ho, 2013. "The Conditional CAPM, Cross-Section Returns and Stochastic Volatility," MPRA Paper 52469, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1993. "Common risk factors in the returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 3-56, February.
- Campbell, John Y, 1991.
"A Variance Decomposition for Stock Returns,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(405), pages 157-179, March.
- Jeff Fleming & Chris Kirby, 2003. "A Closer Look at the Relation between GARCH and Stochastic Autoregressive Volatility," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 1(3), pages 365-419.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Chou, Ray Y. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1992. "ARCH modeling in finance : A review of the theory and empirical evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 5-59.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987. "Hypothesis Testing with Efficient Method of Moments Estimation," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 28(3), pages 777-787, October.
- Andrew Harvey & Esther Ruiz & Neil Shephard, 1994. "Multivariate Stochastic Variance Models," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 61(2), pages 247-264.
- Cochrane, John H, 1996. "A Cross-Sectional Test of an Investment-Based Asset Pricing Model," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(3), pages 572-621, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:56180. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.