R&D, Competition and Growth with Human Capital Accumulation : A Comment
This paper shows that the results of Bucci (2003) depend criti- cally on the assumption that there are no difference between the intermediate goods share in final output, the returns of specialization and the degree of market power of monopolistic competitors. In this paper, we disentangle the market power parameter from the intermediate goods share in final output and the returns to specialization. The main result of this paper is that the competition has no effect on growth contrary to Bucci (2003). This result is explained by the fact that economic growth rate depends on the parameters describing preference and the human capital accumulation technology but is completely independent of competition and R&D activity.
|Date of creation:||09 Oct 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bianco, Dominique, 2007.
"An inverted-U relationship between product market competition and Growth in an extended romerian model : A comment,"
4492, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dominique Bianco, 2007. "An Inverted U-Relationship between Product Market Competition and Growth in an Extended Romerian Model: A Comment," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 97(5), pages 245-258, September.
- Alberto Bucci, 2003.
"R&D, imperfect competition and growth with human capital accumulation,"
Departmental Working Papers
2003-11, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Alberto Bucci, 2003. "R&D, Imperfect Competition and Growth with Human Capital Accumulation," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 50(4), pages 417-439, 09.
- Alberto Bucci & Carmelo Parello, 2006.
"Horizontal Innovation-Based Growth and Product Market Competition,"
UNIMI - Research Papers in Economics, Business, and Statistics
unimi-1032, Universitá degli Studi di Milano.
- Bucci, Alberto & Parello, Carmelo Pierpaolo, 2009. "Horizontal innovation-based growth and product market competition," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 213-221, January.
- Paul Romer, 1989.
"Endogenous Technological Change,"
NBER Working Papers
3210, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Philippe Aghion & Nicholas Bloom & Richard Blundell & Rachel Griffith & Peter Howitt, 2002.
"Competition and Innovation: An Inverted U Relationship,"
NBER Working Papers
9269, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Philippe Aghion & Nick Bloom & Richard Blundell & Rachel Griffith & Peter Howitt, 2005. "Competition and Innovation: an Inverted-U Relationship," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 120(2), pages 701-728.
- Howitt, Peter & Griffith, Rachel & Aghion, Philippe & Blundell, Richard & Bloom, Nick, 2005. "Competition and Innovation: An Inverted-U Relationship," Scholarly Articles 4481507, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Philippe Aghion & Nicholas Bloom & Richard Blundell & Rachel Griffith & Peter Howitt, 2002. "Competition and innovation: an inverted U relationship," IFS Working Papers W02/04, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Benassy, Jean-Pascal, 1991. "Monopolistic competition," Handbook of Mathematical Economics, in: W. Hildenbrand & H. Sonnenschein (ed.), Handbook of Mathematical Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 37, pages 1997-2045 Elsevier.
- Aghion, Philippe & Howitt, Peter, 2005. "Growth with Quality-Improving Innovations: An Integrated Framework," Handbook of Economic Growth, in: Philippe Aghion & Steven Durlauf (ed.), Handbook of Economic Growth, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 2, pages 67-110 Elsevier.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:5243. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.