ICTs and lags in technical efficiency gains. A stochastic frontier approach over a panel of Italian manufacturing firms
This paper analyses the relationship between investment in Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) and Technical Efficiency (TE). It uses a panel dataset of Italian manufacturing firms during the period 1995-2003. In contrast to much of the existing literature which focuses on the impact of ICT on labour or multifactor productivity, the paper analyses the relationship between ICT and TE using a stochastic frontier approach. Results show that ICT investment is positively associated with productivity and efficiency, but that the elasticities are lower than those associated with non-ICT capital and labour. Moreover, ICT investments have a positive effect on firm TE, and the impact of ICTs reduces firm inefficiency with a strong time lag since their adoption. Finally, the paper makes a methodological contribution by showing that a Cobb-Douglas production frontier is rejected in favour of a translog one.
|Date of creation:||30 Mar 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen D. Oliner & Daniel E. Sichel & David M. Byrne, 2013.
"Is the information technology revolution over?,"
4618, American Enterprise Institute.
- Stephen D. Oliner & Daniel E. Sichel, 2000.
"The resurgence of growth in the late 1990s: is information technology the story?,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2000-20, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Stephen D. Oliner & Daniel E. Sichel, 2000. "The resurgence of growth in the late 1990s: is information technology the story?," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Stephen D. Oliner & Daniel E. Sichel, 2000. "The Resurgence of Growth in the Late 1990s: Is Information Technology the Story?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 14(4), pages 3-22, Fall.
- Brynjolfsson, Erik. & Hitt, Lorin M., 1995.
"Paradox lost? : firm-level evidence on the returns to information systems spending,"
3786-95., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Erik Brynjolfsson & Lorin Hitt, 1996. "Paradox Lost? Firm-Level Evidence on the Returns to Information Systems Spending," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(4), pages 541-558, April.
- Martin Neil Baily & James Manyika & Shalabh Gupta, 2013. "U.S. Productivity Growth: An Optimistic Perspective," International Productivity Monitor, Centre for the Study of Living Standards, vol. 25, pages 3-12, Spring.
- Bronwyn H. Hall & Jacques Mairesse, 1992.
"Exploring the Relationship Between R&D and Productivity in French Manufacturing Firms,"
NBER Working Papers
3956, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hall, Bronwyn H. & Mairesse, Jacques, 1995. "Exploring the relationship between R&D and productivity in French manufacturing firms," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 263-293, January.
- Timothy F. Bresnahan & Erik Brynjolfsson & Lorin M. Hitt, 2002.
"Information Technology, Workplace Organization, And The Demand For Skilled Labor: Firm-Level Evidence,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 117(1), pages 339-376, February.
- Timothy F. Bresnahan & Erik Brynjolfsson & Lorin M. Hitt, 1999. "Information Technology, Workplace Organization and the Demand for Skilled Labor: Firm-Level Evidence," NBER Working Papers 7136, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maria Laura Parisi & Fabio Schiantarelli & Alessandro Sembenelli, 2002. "Productivity, Innovation Creation and Absorption, and R&D: Micro Evidence for Italy," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 526, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Sergio Destefanis & Vania Sena, 2007.
"Patterns of corporate governance and technical efficiency in Italian manufacturing,"
Managerial and Decision Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(1), pages 27-40.
- Sergio Destefanis & Vania Sena, 2004. "Patterns Of Corporate Governance And Technical Efficiency In Italian Manufacturing," Finance 0405026, EconWPA.
- Tommaso Ciarli & Roberta Rabellotti, 2007. "ICT in Industrial Districts: An Empirical Analysis on Adoption, Use and Impact," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(3), pages 277-303.
- L. Becchetti & David Bedoya & L. Paganetto, 2003.
"ICT Investment, Productivity and Efficiency: Evidence at Firm Level Using a Stochastic Frontier Approach,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 143-167, September.
- Leonardo Becchetti & Luigi Paganetto & David Andres Londono Bedoya, 2003. "ICT Investment, Productivity and Efficiency: Evidence at Firm Level Using a Stochastic Frontier Approach," CEIS Research Paper 29, Tor Vergata University, CEIS.
- Paola Giuri & Salvatore Torrisi & Natalia Zinovyeva, 2008. "ICT, skills, and organizational change: evidence from Italian manufacturing firms," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 17(1), pages 29-64, February.
- Hung-jen Wang & Peter Schmidt, 2002.
"One-Step and Two-Step Estimation of the Effects of Exogenous Variables on Technical Efficiency Levels,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 129-144, September.
- Wang, Hung-jen & Schmidt, Peter, 2001. "One-step and two-step estimation of the effects of exogenous variables on technical efficiency levels," MPRA Paper 31075, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Mar 2002.
- Matteo Bugamelli & Patrizio Pagano, 2004.
"Barriers to investment in ICT,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(20), pages 2275-2286.
- Gaaitzen J. De Vries & Michael Koetter, 2011. "ICT Adoption and Heterogeneity in Production Technologies: Evidence for Chilean Retailers," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 73(4), pages 539-555, 08.
- Chen, Wen-Chih & McGinnis, Leon F., 2007. "Reconciling ratio analysis and DEA as performance assessment tools," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 178(1), pages 277-291, April.
- Robert J. Gordon, 2013. "U.S. Productivity Growth: The Slowdown Has Returned After a Temporary Revival," International Productivity Monitor, Centre for the Study of Living Standards, vol. 25, pages 13-19, Spring.
- Concetta Castiglione, 2012. "Technical efficiency and ICT investment in Italian manufacturing firms," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(14), pages 1749-1763, May.
- G. Atzeni & O. Carboni, 2001. "The economic effects of information technology: firm level evidence from the italian case," Working Paper CRENoS 200114, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:51071. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.