A Cointegration Approach to Estimate Private Investment Demand Function of Pakistan
The present study estimates the long run private investment function for the period from 1972 to 2011 by using Johansen cointegration approach. The results suggest debt servicing, inflation and private investment to be negatively associated. The study concludes positive impact of GDP growth rate, foreign direct investment, and exchange rate on private investment in Pakistan. The Wald (χ2) Statistics show that GDP, FDI and exchange rate Granger cause private investment. The significance of coefficient of the error correction term confirms the long run causality between explanatory variables and private investment. The pair-wise Granger causality concludes unidirectional causality from private investment to GDP growth, from private investment to foreign direct investment, inflation rate to private investment and from private investment to exchange rate but causality test confirms bidirectional causality between debt servicing and private investment. The paper also suggests policy recommendations.
|Date of creation:||02 Sep 2013|
|Date of revision:||02 Sep 2113|
|Publication status:||Published in Asian Journal of Research in Business Economics and Management 3.9(2013): pp. 1-13|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Kadir KARAGÖZ, 2010. "Determining Factors of Private Investments: An Empirical Analysis for Turkey," Sosyoekonomi Journal, Sosyoekonomi Society, issue 2010-1.
- Granger, C. W. J., 1988. "Some recent development in a concept of causality," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 199-211.
- John J. Heim, 2008. "The Investment Function: Determinants Of Demand For Investment Goods," Rensselaer Working Papers in Economics 0806, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Department of Economics.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015.
"Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-276, March.
- Sajawal Khan & Muhammad Arshad Khan, 2007. "What Determines Private Investment? The Case of Pakistan," Finance Working Papers 22202, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Sajawal Khan & Muhammad Arshad Khan, 2007. "What Determines Private Investment? The Case of Pakistan," PIDE-Working Papers 2007:36, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics.
- Shahbaz Nasir & Mahmood Khalid, 2004. "Saving-investment Behaviour in Pakistan: An Empirical Investigation," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 43(4), pages 665-682.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Javier Andrés & Ignacio Hernando, 1999. "Does Inflation Harm Economic Growth? Evidence from the OECD," NBER Chapters, in: The Costs and Benefits of Price Stability, pages 315-348 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Javier Andres & Ignacio Hernando, 1997. "Does Inflation Harm Economic Growth? Evidence for the OECD," NBER Working Papers 6062, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:49595. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.