The controversial link between exchange rate volatility and exports: Evidence from Tunisian case
This paper tries to revisit the interaction between exchange uncertainty and exports in the Tunisian case. By using various GARCH extensions (i.e. Standard GARCH, Integrated GARCH, Exponential GARCH and Weighted GARCH) we show that the effect of exchange returns on changes in exports depends on time varying between low and high volatility in real terms (i.e. either structural breaks or shifts) and leverage effect (i.e. either good or bad news) in nominal terms. Our results also reveal that all considered links either in nominal or real terms are highly persistent, which means a great tendency to long memory process.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2013|
|Date of revision:||Mar 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bauwens Luc & Storti Giuseppe, 2009.
"A Component GARCH Model with Time Varying Weights,"
Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics,
De Gruyter, vol. 13(2), pages 1-33, May.
- BAUWENS, Luc & STORTI, Giuseppe, "undated". "A component GARCH model with time varying weights," CORE Discussion Papers RP 2125, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Luc, BAUWENS & G., STORTI, 2007. "A Component GARCH Model with Time Varying Weights," Discussion Papers (ECON - Département des Sciences Economiques) 2007012, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- BAUWENS, Luc & STORTI, Giuseppe, 2007. "A component GARCH model with time varying weights," CORE Discussion Papers 2007019, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Giuseppe Storti & Luc Bauwens, 2006. "A component GARCH model with time varying weights," Computing in Economics and Finance 2006 388, Society for Computational Economics.
- Bélanger, Denis & Gutiérrez, Sylvia, 1990. "Impact de la variabilité des taux de change sur le commerce international," L'Actualité Economique, Société Canadienne de Science Economique, vol. 66(1), pages 65-83, mars.
- Balázs Égert & Amalia Morales-Zumaquero, 2008. "Exchange Rate Regimes, Foreign Exchange Volatility, and Export Performance in Central and Eastern Europe: Just another Blur Project?," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 577-593, 08.
- Bal??zs ??gert & Amalia Morales-Zumaquero, 2005. "Exchange Rate Regimes, Foreign Exchange Volatility and Export Performance in Central and Eastern Europe: Just Another Blur Project?," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp782, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Égert, Balázs & Morales-Zumaquero, Amalia, 2005. "Exchange rate regimes, foreign exchange volatility and export performance in Central and Eastern Europe : just another blur project?," BOFIT Discussion Papers 8/2005, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Chowdhury, Abdur R, 1993. "Does Exchange Rate Volatility Depress Trade Flows? Evidence from Error-Correction Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(4), pages 700-706, November.
- McKenzie, Michael D, 1999. " The Impact of Exchange Rate Volatility on International Trade Flows," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(1), pages 71-106, February.
- Meese, Richard A. & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1983. "Empirical exchange rate models of the seventies : Do they fit out of sample?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1-2), pages 3-24, February.
- Zakoian, Jean-Michel, 1994. "Threshold heteroskedastic models," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 931-955, September.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Narayan, Paresh Kumar & Narayan, Seema & Prasad, Arti, 2008. "Understanding the oil price-exchange rate nexus for the Fiji islands," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 2686-2696, September.
- Lahcen Achy & Khalid Sekkat, 2003. "The European Single Currency and MENA's Exports to Europe," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(4), pages 563-582, November.
- Serge Rey, 2006. "Effective Exchange Rate Volatility And Mena Countries Exports To The Eu," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 31(2), pages 23-54, December.
- Selmi, Refk & Bouoiyour, Jamal & Ayachi, Fethi, 2012. "Another Look at the Interaction Between Oil Price Uncertainty and Exchange Rate Volatility: The Case of Small Open Economies," MPRA Paper 49144, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Oct 2012. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:49133. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.