Profitability of the Banking Sector of Pakistan: Panel Evidence from Bank-Specific, Industry-Specific and Macroeconomic Determinants
This study investigates determinants of banks’ profitability in Pakistan by using the panel data of 18 banks from the period of 2001 to 2010. Pedroni panel cointegration results confirm that there exists valid long run relationship between considered variables. Results of random effects model suggest negative and significant effect of bank size, credit risk, liquidity, taxation, and nontraditional activity with profitability. Conversely, positive and significant effects of capitalization, banking sector development and inflation have been found with profitability. However, the stock market development has negative but insignificant relationship with profitability. Sensitivity analyses confirm that the results are robust.
|Date of creation:||05 Jul 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- García-Herrero, Alicia & Gavilá, Sergio & Santabárbara, Daniel, 2009.
"What explains the low profitability of Chinese banks?,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 33(11), pages 2080-2092, November.
- Alicia García-Herrero & Sergio Gavilá & Daniel Santabárbara, 2009. "What explains the low profitability of Chinese banks?," Banco de Espa�a Working Papers 0910, Banco de Espa�a.
- Alicia Garcia-Herrero & Daniel Santabarbara & Sergio Gavila, 2009. "What explains the low profitability of Chinese banks?," Working Papers 0909, BBVA Bank, Economic Research Department.
- Fadzlan SUFIAN & Muzafar Shah HABIBULLAH, 2009.
"Bank specific and macroeconomic determinants of bank profitability: Empirical evidence from the China banking sector,"
Frontiers of Economics in China,
Higher Education Press, vol. 4(2), pages 274-291, June.
- Fadzlan Sufian & Muzafar Habibullah, 2009. "Bank specific and macroeconomic determinants of bank profitability: Empirical evidence from the China banking sector," Frontiers of Economics in China, Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 274-291, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:48485. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.