Interdependence in Real Effective Exchange Rates: Evidence from the Dynamic Hierarchical Factor Model
We analyze and quantify the interdependence of real effective exchange rates while considering the regional location of countries. More specifically, using the dynamic hierarchical factor model (Moench et al 2011), we decompose exchange rate movements into worldwide and two regional factors as well as country-specific elements. Then we provide evidence that a substantial proportion of variation in the exchange rates is country-specific.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jushan Bai & Serena Ng, 2001.
"A PANIC Attack on Unit Roots and Cointegration,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
519, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Jeffrey Frankel & Shang-Jin Wei, 2008.
"Estimation of De Facto Exchange Rate Regimes: Synthesis of the Techniques for Inferring Flexibility and Basket Weights,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 55(3), pages 384-416, July.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & Shang-Jin Wei, 2008. "Estimation of De Facto Exchange Rate Regimes: Synthesis of the Techniques for Inferring Flexibility and Basket Weights," NBER Working Papers 14016, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frankel, Jeffrey & Wei, Shang-Jin, 2008. "Estimation of De Facto Exchange Rate Regimes: Synthesis of The Techniques for Inferring Flexibility and Basket Weights," Working Paper Series rwp08-026, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Emanuel Moench & Serena Ng & Simon Potter, 2013.
"Dynamic Hierarchical Factor Model,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 95(5), pages 1811-1817, December.
- Ronald McKinnon & Gunther Schnabl, 2003.
"Synchronized Business Cycles in East Asia and Fluctuations in the Yen/Dollar Exchange Rate,"
022003, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Ronald McKinnon & Gunther Schnabl, 2003. "Synchronised Business Cycles in East Asia and Fluctuations in the Yen/Dollar Exchange Rate," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(8), pages 1067-1088, 08.
- Ronald Macdonald & Mark P. Taylor, 1992.
"Exchange Rate Economics: A Survey,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 39(1), pages 1-57, March.
- Bai, Jushan & Ng, Serena, 2007. "Determining the Number of Primitive Shocks in Factor Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 25, pages 52-60, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:45955. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.