An Application of GARCH while investigating volatility in stock returns of the World
A healthy stock market is a sign of sound and healthy economy. Stock market is a volatile market affected, at times directly and most often indirectly, by many micro and macroeconomic players. Of these players interest rates and exchange rates are among the ones undertaken in this study. The rationale behind this study is to ascertain the volatility in stock returns of various stock exchanges in relevance to interest rates and exchange rates over a range of 8 countries for assorted periods. GARCH (1, 1) was deployed for investigating the possible eventualities of volatilities of stock markets. The findings were found varying for Pakistan, India, Hong Kong, Japan, United States, United Kingdom, Spain and Germany. Moreover, almost for all countries GARCH (1, 1) yielded significant results confirming the existence of volatility of stock markets for the current period of outlined countries due to volatility of those stock markets during the previous lags. The findings may help investors know the stock markets’ trends which are also for some cases (nations) affected by interest rates and/or exchange rates and thus to invest accordingly.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in South Asian Journal of Management Sciences 2.5(2012): pp. 49-59|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baillie, R.T. & Degennaro, R.P., 1988.
"Stock Returns And Volatility,"
8803, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Anthony Kyereboah-Coleman & Kwame F. Agyire-Tettey, 2008. "Impact of macroeconomic indicators on stock market performance: The case of the Ghana Stock Exchange," Journal of Risk Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 9(4), pages 365-378, August.
- Choi, Jongmoo Jay & Elyasiani, Elyas & Kopecky, Kenneth J., 1992. "The sensitivity of bank stock returns to market, interest and exchange rate risks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 983-1004, September.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Elyasiani, Elyas & Mansur, Iqbal, 1998. "Sensitivity of the bank stock returns distribution to changes in the level and volatility of interest rate: A GARCH-M model," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 535-563, May.
- Khaled Hussainey & Le Khanh Ngoc, 2009. "The impact of macroeconomic indicators on Vietnamese stock prices," Journal of Risk Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 10(4), pages 321-332, August.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1981. "Stock Returns, Real Activity, Inflation, and Money," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(4), pages 545-65, September.
- Wetmore, Jill L & Brick, John R, 1994. "Commercial Bank Risk: Market, Interest Rate, and Foreign Exchange," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 17(4), pages 585-96, Winter.
- Karam Pal & Ruhee Mittal, 2011. "Impact of macroeconomic indicators on Indian capital markets," Journal of Risk Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 12(2), pages 84-97, February.
- Chu-Sheng Tai, 2010. "Foreign exchange risk and risk exposure in the Japanese stock market," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 36(6), pages 511-524, June.
- Román Ferrer & Cristóbal González & Gloria M. Soto, 2010. "Linear and nonlinear interest rate exposure in Spain," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 36(5), pages 431-451, May.
- Stuart Hyde, 2007.
"The response of industry stock returns to market, exchange rate and interest rate risks,"
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 33(9), pages 693-709.
- Hyde, Stuart J, 2007. "The response of industry stock returns to market, exchange rate and interest rate risks," MPRA Paper 9679, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:45089. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.