A Note on Food Inflation in Pakistan
Food inflation hurts poor more than rich as poor spend higher proportion of their income on food items compared to rich. Higher global food and crude oil prices in 2008 resulted in higher (than historical average) food inflation in Pakistan. Global food inflation caused food inflation in Pakistan. However, food inflation diffusion has been lower compared to non-food inflation in Pakistan. Food inflation volatility in Pakistan was found to be half of that observed in the world. Compared to global food inflation persistence, there is no evidence of food inflation persistence in Pakistan. However, within the food group, most of the goods which were manufactured exhibited inflation persistence. With the help of comparison of food inflation with wage increases for labour (after 2008 global commodity prices shock), the poor (labour class) was found to be at disadvantage.
|Date of creation:||31 Jul 2012|
|Date of revision:||11 Mar 2013|
|Publication status:||Published in Pakistan Economic and Social Review 2.50(2012): pp. 183-206|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Muhammad Nadim Hanif & Muhammad Jahanzeb Malik & Javed Iqbal, 2012.
"Intrinsic Inflation Persistence in a Developing Country,"
- Hanif, Muhamad Nadim & Malik, Muhamad Jahanzeb & Iqbal, Javed, 2012. "Intrinsic Inflation Persistence in a Developing Country," MPRA Paper 43152, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hanif, M. Nadim & Malik, Muhammad Jahanzeb & Iqbal, Javed, 2012. "Intrinsic Inflation Persistence in a Developing Country," MPRA Paper 39583, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jordi Gali & Mark Gertler, 2000.
"Inflation Dynamics: A Structural Econometric Analysis,"
NBER Working Papers
7551, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gali, Jordi & Gertler, Mark, 1999. "Inflation dynamics: A structural econometric analysis," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 195-222, October.
- Jordi Galí & Mark Gertler, 1998. "Inflation dynamics: A structural econometric analysis," Economics Working Papers 341, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Hanif, Muhammad N. & Batool, Irem, 2006. "Openness and Inflation: A Case Study of Pakistan," MPRA Paper 10214, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Riaz Riazuddin, 2008. "An Exploratory Analysis of Inflation Episodes in Pakistan," Lahore Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, The Lahore School of Economics, vol. 13(Special E), pages 63-93, September.
- Choudhary, M. Ali & Naeem, Saima & Faheem, Abdul & Hanif, Nadim & Pasha, Farooq, 2011. "Formal sector price discoveries: preliminary results from a developing country," MPRA Paper 32368, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Khan, Mahmood ul Hassan & Hanif, Muhammad Nadim, 2012. "Role of Demand and Supply Shocks in Driving Inflation: A Case Study of Pakistan," MPRA Paper 48884, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:45009. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.