Short-Term Forecasting of Inflation in Bangladesh with Seasonal ARIMA Processes
The purpose of this study is to forecast the short-term inflation rate of Bangladesh using the monthly Consumer Price Index (CPI) from January 2000 to December 2012. To do so, the study employed the Seasonal Auto-regressive Integrated Moving Average (SARIMA) models proposed by Box, Jenkins, and Reinsel (1994). CUSUM, Quandt likelihood ratio (QLR) and Chow test have been utilized to identify the structural breaks over the sample periods and all three tests suggested that the structural breaks in CPI series of Bangladesh are in the month of February 2007 and September 2009. Hence, the study truncated the series and using CPI data from September 2009 to December 2012, the ARIMA(1,1,1)(1,0,1)12 models were estimated and forecasted. The forecasted result suggests an increasing pattern and high rates of inflation over the forecasted period 2013. Therefore, the study recommends that Bangladesh Bank should come forward with more appropriate economic and monetary policies in order to combat such increase inflation in 2013.
|Date of creation:||10 Jan 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kenny, Geoff & Meyler, Aidan & Quinn, Terry, 1998.
"Forecasting Irish inflation using ARIMA models,"
Research Technical Papers
3/RT/98, Central Bank of Ireland.
- Meyler, Aidan & Kenny, Geoff & Quinn, Terry, 1998. "Forecasting irish inflation using ARIMA models," MPRA Paper 11359, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-1072, June.
- Junttila, Juha, 2001. "Structural breaks, ARIMA model and Finnish inflation forecasts," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 203-230.
- Peter Schulze & Alexander Prinz, 2009. "Forecasting container transshipment in Germany," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(22), pages 2809-2815.
- Robert Engle, 2001. "GARCH 101: The Use of ARCH/GARCH Models in Applied Econometrics," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(4), pages 157-168, Fall. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:43729. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.