Un modelo GARCH con asimetría condicional autorregresiva para modelar series de tiempo: Una aplicación para el Indice de Precios y Cotizaciones
[A GARCH model with autorregresive conditional asymmetry to model time-series: An application to the returns of the Mexican Stock Market Index]
We develop a GARCH model with autoregressive conditional asymmetry to describe time-series. This means that, in addition to the conditional mean and variance, we assume that the skewness describes the behavior of the time-series. Analytically, we use the methodology proposed by Fernández and Steel (1998) to define the behavior of the innovations of the model. We use the approach developed by Brooks, et. al., (2005), to build it. Moreover, we show its usefulness by modeling the daily returns of the Mexican Stock Market Index (IPC) during the period between January 3rd, 2008 and September 29th, 2009.
|Date of creation:||07 Nov 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chunhachinda, Pornchai & Dandapani, Krishnan & Hamid, Shahid & Prakash, Arun J., 1997. "Portfolio selection and skewness: Evidence from international stock markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 143-167, February.
- Lorenzo-Valdes, Arturo & Ruiz-Porras, Antonio, 2011.
"Modelación de los rendimientos bursátiles mexicanos mediante los modelos TGARCH y EGARCH: Un estudio econométrico para 30 acciones y el Índice de Precios y Cotizaciones
[Modeling Mexican stock retu," MPRA Paper 36872, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Doaa Akl Ahmed, 2011. "Modelling the Density of Inflation Using Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity, Skewness, and Kurtosis Models," Ensayos Revista de Economia, Universidad Autonoma de Nuevo Leon, Facultad de Economia, vol. 0(2), pages 1-28, November.
- Duran-Vazquez, Rocio & Lorenzo-Valdes, Arturo & Ruiz-Porras, Antonio, 2011.
"Valuation of Latin-American stock prices with alternative versions of the Ohlson model: An investigation of cointegration relationships with time-series and panel-data,"
32043, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Duran-Vazquez, Rocio & Lorenzo-Valdes, Arturo & Ruiz-Porras, Antonio, 2011. "Valuation of Latin-American stock prices with alternative versions of the Ohlson model: An investigation of cointegration relationships with time-series and panel-data," MPRA Paper 31354, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Campbell R. Harvey & Akhtar Siddique, 2000. "Conditional Skewness in Asset Pricing Tests," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(3), pages 1263-1295, 06.
- J. Tobin, 1958. "Liquidity Preference as Behavior Towards Risk," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 25(2), pages 65-86.
- Chris Brooks & Simon P. Burke & Gita Persand, 2002.
"Augoregressive Conditional Kurtosis,"
ICMA Centre Discussion Papers in Finance
icma-dp2002-05, Henley Business School, Reading University.
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, 03.
- Hansen, B.E., 1992.
"Autoregressive Conditional Density Estimation,"
RCER Working Papers
322, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Harvey, Campbell R. & Siddique, Akhtar, 1999. "Autoregressive Conditional Skewness," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 34(04), pages 465-487, December.
- White, Halbert & Kim, Tae-Hwan & Manganelli, Simone, 2008. "Modeling autoregressive conditional skewness and kurtosis with multi-quantile CAViaR," Working Paper Series 0957, European Central Bank.
- Joseph Chen & Harrison Hong & Jeremy C. Stein, 2000.
"Forecasting Crashes: Trading Volume, Past Returns and Conditional Skewness in Stock Prices,"
NBER Working Papers
7687, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chen, Joseph & Hong, Harrison & Stein, Jeremy C., 2001. "Forecasting crashes: trading volume, past returns, and conditional skewness in stock prices," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(3), pages 345-381, September.
- Jondeau, Eric & Rockinger, Michael, 2003. "Conditional volatility, skewness, and kurtosis: existence, persistence, and comovements," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 27(10), pages 1699-1737, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:42548. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.