Augoregressive Conditional Kurtosis
This paper proposes a new model for autoregressive conditional heteroscedasticity and kurtosis. Via a time-varying degrees of freedom parameter, the conditional variance and conditional kurtosis are permitted to evolve separately. The model uses only the standard Student’s t density and consequently can be estimated simply using maximum likelihood. The method is applied to a set of four daily financial asset return series comprising US and UK stocks and bonds, and significant evidence in favour of the presence of autoregressive conditional kurtosis is observed. Various extensions to the basic model are examined, and show that conditional kurtosis appears to be positively but not significantly related to returns, and that the response of kurtosis to good and bad news is not significantly asymmetric. A multivariate model for conditional heteroscedasticity and conditional kurtosis, which can provide useful information on the co-movements between the higher moments of series, is also proposed.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Financial Econometrics 3:3, 399-421.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (0) 118 378 8226
Fax: +44 (0) 118 975 0236
Web page: http://www.henley.reading.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lawrence R. Glosten & Ravi Jagannathan & David E. Runkle, 1993.
"On the relation between the expected value and the volatility of the nominal excess return on stocks,"
157, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Glosten, Lawrence R & Jagannathan, Ravi & Runkle, David E, 1993. " On the Relation between the Expected Value and the Volatility of the Nominal Excess Return on Stocks," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1779-1801, December.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- Scott, Robert C & Horvath, Philip A, 1980. " On the Direction of Preference for Moments of Higher Order Than the Variance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(4), pages 915-19, September.
- Campbell R. Harvey & Akhtar Siddique, 2000. "Conditional Skewness in Asset Pricing Tests," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(3), pages 1263-1295, 06.
- Hansen, B.E., 1992.
"Autoregressive Conditional Density Estimation,"
RCER Working Papers
322, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Chunhachinda, Pornchai & Dandapani, Krishnan & Hamid, Shahid & Prakash, Arun J., 1997. "Portfolio selection and skewness: Evidence from international stock markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 143-167, February.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1987. "A Conditionally Heteroskedastic Time Series Model for Speculative Prices and Rates of Return," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(3), pages 542-47, August.
- Jondeau, E. & Rockinger, M., 2000.
"Conditional Volatility, Skewness, and Kurtosis: Existence and Persistence,"
77, Banque de France.
- ROCKINGER, Michael & JONDEAU, Eric, 2000. "Conditional Volatility, Skewness, and Kurtosis : Existence and Persistence," Les Cahiers de Recherche 710, HEC Paris.
- ROCKINGER, Michael & JONDEAU, Eric, 2001.
"Conditional dependency of financial series : an application of copulas,"
Les Cahiers de Recherche
723, HEC Paris.
- Rockinger, M. & Jondeau, E., 2001. "Conditional Dependency of Financial Series: An Application of Copulas," Working papers 82, Banque de France.
- Harvey, Campbell R. & Siddique, Akhtar, 1999. "Autoregressive Conditional Skewness," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 34(04), pages 465-487, December.
- Nelson, Daniel B., 1996. "Asymptotic filtering theory for multivariate ARCH models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 71(1-2), pages 1-47.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-70, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rdg:icmadp:icma-dp2002-05. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ed Quick)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.