L’impact de la présence des comités d’audit sur la performance financière des entreprises tunisiennes
[The impact of the presence of audit committees on the financial performance of Tunisian companies]
The Audit Committee plays a crucial role in protecting the interests of shareholders and other stakeholders. In fact, its effectiveness is dependent on its characteristics that relate primarily to the independence of its members, the size of the committee, the frequency of meetings and the expertise of the members of the audit committee. Indeed, we have tried to capture the effect of the characteristics of the audit committee on financial performance measured by Return On Assets (ROA) and Return On Equity (ROE). To test the validity of our hypothesis, which states the existence of a certain determinism characteristic of the audit committee on financial performance measured by ROA and ROE, we have developed two models of linear regressions. In the same furrow, we examine the effect of audit committee characteristics at each of the endogenous variables taking into account the impact of firm size and the level of debt. Our empirical validation was conducted on a sample of 26 Tunisian firms listed on the stock exchange in Tunis (Tunis Stock Exchange) over a period which lasts 4 years (2007-2010). The estimated models show satisfactory results showing the importance of the impact of the characteristics of the audit committee on the financial performance of Tunisian companies.
|Date of creation:||15 Oct 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Klein, April, 2002. "Audit committee, board of director characteristics, and earnings management," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 375-400, August.
- Myers, Stewart C., 1977. "Determinants of corporate borrowing," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 147-175, November.
- Pincus, Karen & Rusbarsky, Mark & Wong, Jilnaught, 1989. "Voluntary formation of corporate audit committees among NASDAQ firms," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 239-265.
- Klein, April, 1998. "Firm Performance and Board Committee Structure," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 41(1), pages 275-303, April.
- Laurence Godard, 2000. "La taille du conseil d'administration:déterminants et impact sur la performance," Working Papers CREGO 1010702, Université de Bourgogne - CREGO EA7317 Centre de recherches en gestion des organisations, revised Jul 2001.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:42175. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.