Benefit-Cost Analysis of Reforming the Turkish Social Insurance Institution for the Self-Employed (Bağ-Kur)
The purpose of this study is to estimate social benefits and social costs associated with a Feldsteinian-type gradual privatization of the Turkish Social Insurance Institute for Self –Employed Persons, “BK”. Based on data provided by the International Labor Organization, financial projections of the institution were made and extended to apply benefit cost model of privatization. Present value of the change in net social benefit was estimated. The effect of privatization on representative individuals has also been quantified. Results indicate that social benefits associated with a privatization alternative exceed the social costs even after adjustments for changes in key parameters that reduce social net benefits. However, privatization affects current representative individuals so negatively that it may constitute a “good political reason” to be against, rather than in favor of, choosing privatization.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in METU Studies in Development 2.33(2006): pp. 169-206|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martin Feldstein, 1998. "Introduction to "Privatizing Social Security"," NBER Chapters, in: Privatizing Social Security, pages 1-29 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kenc, Turalay & Sayan, Serdar, 2001. "Demographic shock transmission from large to small countries: An overlapping generations CGE analysis," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 677-702, August.
- Martin Feldstein, 1995.
"Tax Avoidance and the Deadweight Loss of the Income Tax,"
NBER Working Papers
5055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin Feldstein, 1999. "Tax Avoidance And The Deadweight Loss Of The Income Tax," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 81(4), pages 674-680, November.
- Barro, Robert J, 1974.
"Are Government Bonds Net Wealth?,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(6), pages 1095-1117, Nov.-Dec..
- Martin Feldstein & Andrew Samwick, 1996.
"The Transition Path in Privatizing Social Security,"
NBER Working Papers
5761, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin Feldstein & Andrew Samwick, 1998. "The Transition Path in Privatizing Social Security," NBER Chapters, in: Privatizing Social Security, pages 215-264 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Metin Ercen & Deniz Gokce, 1998. "Defined Contribution Model: Definition, Theory and an Application for Turkey," Istanbul Stock Exchange Review, Research and Business Development Department, Borsa Istanbul, vol. 2(8-7), pages 33-51.
- Olivia S. Mitchell, 1998.
"Administrative Costs in Public and Private Retirement Systems,"
in: Privatizing Social Security, pages 403-456
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Olivia S. Mitchell, 1996. "Administrative Costs in Public and Private Retirement Systems," NBER Working Papers 5734, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Olivia S. Mitchell, . "Administrative Costs in Public and Private Retirement Systems," Pension Research Council Working Papers 96-4, Wharton School Pension Research Council, University of Pennsylvania.
- Meguire, Philip, 1998. "Comment: Social Security and Private Savings," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 51(n. 2), pages 339-58, June.
- Sayan, Serdar & Kiraci, Arzdar, 2001. "Parametric pension reform with higher retirement ages: A computational investigation of alternatives for a pay-as-you-go-based pension system," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 25(6-7), pages 951-966, June.
- Attanasio, Orazio P. & Paiella, Monica, 2001. "Households savings in the U.S.A," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 109-132, March.
- Feldstein, Martin S, 1974. "Social Security, Induced Retirement, and Aggregate Capital Accumulation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(5), pages 905-26, Sept./Oct.
- Martin Feldstein, 1998. "Privatizing Social Security," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number feld98-1.
- von Furstenberg, George M, 1980. "Private Saving," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(2), pages 177-81, May.
- Serdar Sayan & Turalay Kenc, 1999. "Long-term Consequences of Rehabilitating a Financially Troubled Pension System: An Analysis for Turkey," Working Papers 9914, Economic Research Forum, revised May 1999.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:42108. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.