A proxy approach to dealing with the infeasibility problem in super-efficiency data envelopment analysis
Super-efficiency data envelopment analysis (SE-DEA) models are expressions of the traditional DEA models featuring the exclusion of the unit under evaluation from the reference set. The SE-DEA models have been applied in various cases such as sensitivity and stability analysis, measurement of productivity changes，outliers’ identification，and classification and ranking of decision making units (DMUs). A major deficiency in the SE-DEA models is their infeasibility in determining super-efficiency scores for some efficient DMUs when variable, non-increasing and non-decreasing returns to scale (VRS, NIRS, NDRS) prevail. The scope of this study is the development of an oriented proxy approach for SE-DEA models in order to tackle the infeasibility problem. The proxy introduced to the SE-DEA models replaces the original infeasible DMU in the sample and guarantees a feasible optimal solution. The proxy approach yields the same scores as the traditional SE-DEA models to the feasible DMUs.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lee, Hsuan-Shih & Chu, Ching-Wu & Zhu, Joe, 2011. "Super-efficiency DEA in the presence of infeasibility," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 212(1), pages 141-147, July.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Chambers, Robert G. & Chung, Yangho & Fare, Rolf, 1996. "Benefit and Distance Functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 407-419, August.
- Mei Xue & Patrick T. Harker, 2002. "Note: Ranking DMUs with Infeasible Super-Efficiency DEA Models," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(5), pages 705-710, May.
- Chen, Yao, 2005. "Measuring super-efficiency in DEA in the presence of infeasibility," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 161(2), pages 545-551, March.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Per Andersen & Niels Christian Petersen, 1993. "A Procedure for Ranking Efficient Units in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(10), pages 1261-1264, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:42064. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.