Super-efficiency based on a modified directional distance function
The problem of infeasibility arises in conventional radial super-efficiency data envelopment analysis (DEA) models under variable returns to scale (VRS). To tackle this issue, a Nerlove–Luenberger (N–L) measure of super-efficiency is developed based on a directional distance function. Although this N–L super-efficiency model does not suffer infeasibility problem as in the conventional radial super-efficiency DEA models, it can produce an infeasible solution in two special situations. The current paper proposes to modify the directional distance function by selecting proper feasible reference bundles so that the resulting N–L measure of super-efficiency is always feasible. As a result, our modified VRS super-efficiency model successfully addresses the infeasibility issues occurring either in conventional VRS models or the N–L super-efficiency model. Numerical examples are used to demonstrate our approach and compare results obtained from various super-efficiency measures.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 41 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Per Andersen & Niels Christian Petersen, 1993. "A Procedure for Ranking Efficient Units in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(10), pages 1261-1264, October.
- Lee, Hsuan-Shih & Chu, Ching-Wu & Zhu, Joe, 2011. "Super-efficiency DEA in the presence of infeasibility," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 212(1), pages 141-147, July.
- Chen, Yao, 2004. "Ranking efficient units in DEA," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 213-219, June.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Premachandra, I.M. & Chen, Yao & Watson, John, 2011. "DEA as a tool for predicting corporate failure and success: A case of bankruptcy assessment," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 620-626, December.
- André, Francisco J. & Herrero, Inés & Riesgo, Laura, 2010. "A modified DEA model to estimate the importance of objectives with an application to agricultural economics," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 371-382, October.
- Zhong, Wei & Yuan, Wei & Li, Susan X. & Huang, Zhimin, 2011. "The performance evaluation of regional R&D investments in China: An application of DEA based on the first official China economic census data," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 447-455, August.
- Chen, Yao, 2005. "Measuring super-efficiency in DEA in the presence of infeasibility," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 161(2), pages 545-551, March.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Chambers, Robert G. & Chung, Yangho & Fare, Rolf, 1996. "Benefit and Distance Functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 407-419, August.
- Lee, Hsuan-Shih & Zhu, Joe, 2012. "Super-efficiency infeasibility and zero data in DEA," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 216(2), pages 429-433.
- Wu, Jie & Liang, Liang & Chen, Yao, 2009. "DEA game cross-efficiency approach to Olympic rankings," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 909-918, August.