What determines the behavior of the Russian stock market
In this paper we empirically test the dependence of the Russian stock market on the world stock market, world oil prices and Russian political and economic news during the period 2001-2010. We find that oil prices are not significant after 2006, the Japan stock index is significant over the whole period, since it is the nearest market index in terms of closing time to the Russian stock index. We find that political news like Yukos arrests or news on the Georgian war have a short term impact, since there are many other shocks, the structural instability of the Russian financial market is confirmed.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bernd Hayo & Ali Kutan, 2004.
"The Impact of News, Oil Prices, and Global Market Developments on Russian Financial Markets,"
- Bernd Hayo & Ali M. Kutan, 2005. "The impact of news, oil prices, and global market developments on Russian financial markets," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 13(2), pages 373-393, 04.
- Bernd Hayo & Ali M. Kutan, 2004. "The Impact of News, Oil Prices, and Global Market Developments on Russian Financial Markets," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 2004-656, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Chesney, Marc & Reshetar, Ganna & Karaman, Mustafa, 2011. "The impact of terrorism on financial markets: An empirical study," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 253-267, February.
- Peresetsky, Anatoly & Ivanter, Alexander, 2000. "Interaction of the Russian Financial Markets," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 33(1-2), pages 103-140.
- Anatolyev, Stanislav, 2005. "A Ten-year retrospection of the behavior of Russian stock returns," BOFIT Discussion Papers 9/2005, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Eun, Cheol S. & Shim, Sangdal, 1989. "International Transmission of Stock Market Movements," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(02), pages 241-256, June.
- Peresetsky, A. & Turmuhambetova, G. & Urga, G., 2001. "The development of the GKO futures market in Russia," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 1-16, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:41508. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.