Selected Macroeconomic Variables Affecting Private Investment in Malawi
This study provides an empirical test of the macroeconomic variables that can potentially affect private investment decisions in Malawi in a short and long run perspective using time series data. Both the theory and the empirical literature are reviewed in order to identify a private investment function for the last three decades (1979-2009). The results reveal that investment decisions seem to be determined by public investment, bank credit to the private sector and the real interest rate in the short run. Besides, there is evidence of a crowding-out effect of public investment. In the long run, the capital accumulation path seems to be closely dependent on both GDP growth and real exchange rates.
|Date of creation:||19 Mar 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maxwell Fry, 1998. "Savings, Investment, Growth and Financial Distortions in Pacific Asia and Other Developing Areas," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(1), pages 1-24.
- Pablo Acosta & Andrés Loza, 2005. "Short and long run determinants of private investment in Argentina," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 8, pages 389-406, November.
- Christian H. Beddies, 1999. "Investment, Capital Accumulation, and Growth; Some Evidence from The Gambia 1964â€“98," IMF Working Papers 99/117, International Monetary Fund.
- Dhaneshwar Ghura, 1997. "Private Investment and Endogenous Growth; Evidence From Cameroon," IMF Working Papers 97/165, International Monetary Fund.
- Ndikumana, Leonce, 2000. "Financial Determinants of Domestic Investment in Sub-Saharan Africa: Evidence from Panel Data," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 381-400, February.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987.
"Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015. "Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Oshikoya, Temitope W, 1994. "Macroeconomic Determinants of Domestic Private Investment in Africa: An Empirical Analysis," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 42(3), pages 573-96, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:40698. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.