Risk and return relationship in stock market and commodity prices: a comprehensive study of Pakistani markets
The objective of this study is to determine the risk and return relationship on the basis of univariate modeling approach. This study is helpful to analyze the asymmetric nature of data including the seasonal affect and non linear properties in risk and return relationship scenario. In this study, monthly data was used regarding gold price, cotton prices and sugar price along with KSE 100 index. The data span of all variables cover the time period from July 1998 to July 2008. The overall results indicate that asymmetric and seasonal effect is present in commodities market and stock market. But the asymmetric properties and seasonal effect is most dominant in stock market prices comparative to other commodities.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in World Applied Sciences Journal 3.13(2011): pp. 470-481|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eric Ghysels & Pedro Santa-Clara & Rossen Valkanov, 2004.
"There is a Risk-Return Tradeoff After All,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Eric Ghysels & Pedro Santa-Clara & Rossen Valkanov, 2003. "There is a Risk-Return Tradeoff After All," CIRANO Working Papers 2003s-26, CIRANO.
- Eric Ghysels & Pedro Santa-Clara & Rossen Valkanov, 2004. "There is a Risk-Return Tradeoff After All," NBER Working Papers 10913, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Choudhry, Taufiq, 1996. "Stock market volatility and the crash of 1987: evidence from six emerging markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 969-981, December.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Harvey, Campbell R., 2001. "The specification of conditional expectations," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(5), pages 573-637, December.
- M. Kabir Hassan & Anisul M. Islam & Syed Abul Basher, 2000.
"Market Efficiency, Time-Varying Volatility and Equity Returns in Bangladesh Stock Market,"
2002_6, York University, Department of Economics, revised Jun 2002.
- M. Kabir Hassan & Anisul M. Islam & Syed Basher, 2003. "Market Efficiency, Time-Varying Volatility and Equity Returns in Bangladesh Stock Market," Finance 0310015, EconWPA.
- Abdul Qayyum & A. R. Kemal, 2006.
"Volatility Spillover between the Stock Market and the Foreign Market in Pakistan,"
Finance Working Papers
22216, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Abdul Qayyum & A. R. Kemal, 2006. "Volatility Spillover between the Stock Market and the Foreign Market in Pakistan," PIDE-Working Papers 2006:7, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-70, March.
- Baillie, R.T. & Degennaro, R.P., 1988.
"Stock Returns And Volatility,"
8803, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- French, Kenneth R. & Schwert, G. William & Stambaugh, Robert F., 1987. "Expected stock returns and volatility," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 3-29, September.
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, 03.
- Lamoureux, Christopher G & Lastrapes, William D, 1990. " Heteroskedasticity in Stock Return Data: Volume versus GARCH Effects," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(1), pages 221-29, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:40662. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.