Nominal GDP targeting for a speedier economic recovery
For U.S. recessions since 1948, we study paneled time series of (i) ExUR, the excess of the unemployment rate over the prerecession rate, and (ii) NGAP, the percent deviation of nominal GDP from its prerecession trend. Excluding the 1969-70 and 1973-75 recessions, a regression of ExUR on current and past values of NGAP has an R2 of 75%. Simulations indicate that NGDP targeting could have eliminated 84% of the average ExUR during the period from 1.5 years and 4 years after the recessions began. The maximum effect of NGAP on unemployment occurs with a lag of 2 to 3 quarters.
|Date of creation:||08 Mar 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Meade, James E, 1993.
"The Meaning of "Internal Balance.","
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 83(6), pages 3-9, December.
- Yaz Terajima & Jose-Victor Rios-Rull & Cesaire Meh, 2008.
"Aggregate and Welfare Effects of Redistribution of Wealth Under Inflation and Price-Level Targeting,"
2008 Meeting Papers
381, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Meh, Césaire A. & Ríos-Rull, José-Víctor & Terajima, Yaz, 2010. "Aggregate and welfare effects of redistribution of wealth under inflation and price-level targeting," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(6), pages 637-652, September.
- Césaire A. Meh & José-Victor Rios-Rull & Yaz Terajima, 2008. "Aggregate and Welfare Effects of Redistribution of Wealth Under Inflation and Price-Level Targeting," Staff Working Papers 08-31, Bank of Canada.
- Donald Coletti & René Lalonde & Dirk Muir, 2008. "Inflation Targeting and Price-Level-Path Targeting in the Global Economy Model: Some Open Economy Considerations," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 55(2), pages 326-338, June.
- Bean, Charles R, 1983. "Targeting Nominal Income: An Appraisal," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 93(372), pages 806-19, December.
- George A. Kahn, 2009. "Beyond inflation targeting: should central banks target the price level?," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Q III, pages 35-64.
- Bennett T. McCallum, .
"The Alleged Instability of Nominal Income Targeting,"
GSIA Working Papers
1998-20, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Bennett T. McCallum, 1997. "The alleged instability of nominal income targeting," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series G97/6, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- Bennett T. McCallum, 1997. "The Alleged Instability of Nominal Income Targeting," NBER Working Papers 6291, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James Tobin, 1980. "Stabilization Policy Ten Years After," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 11(1, Tenth ), pages 19-90.
- Svensson, L-E-O, 1996.
"Price Level Targeting vs Inflation Targeting : A free Lunch?,"
614, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Svensson, Lars E.O., 1997. "Price Level Targeting vs. Inflation Targeting: A Free Lunch?," Seminar Papers 614, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Lars E. O. Svensson, 1996. "Price Level Targeting vs. Inflation Targeting: A Free Lunch?," NBER Working Papers 5719, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:cto:journl:v:24:y:2004:i:3:p: is not listed on IDEAS
- Bennett T. McCallum & Edward Nelson, 2000.
"Nominal Income Targeting in an Open-Economy Optimizing Model,"
NBER Working Papers
6675, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- McCallum, Bennett T. & Nelson, Edward, 1999. "Nominal income targeting in an open-economy optimizing model," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 553-578, June.
- McCallum, Bennett T. & Nelson, Edward, 1998. "Nominal Income Targeting in an Open-Economy Optimizing Model," Seminar Papers 644, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- McCallum, B.T. & Nelson, E., 1998. "Nominal Income Targeting in an Open-Economy Optimizing Model," Papers 644, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Malik, Hamza, 2005. "Price Level vs. Nominal Income Targeting: Aggregate Demand Shocks and the Cost Channel of Monetary Policy Transmission," MPRA Paper 456, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Aug 2006.
- Altavilla, Carlo & Ciccarelli, Matteo, 2009.
"The effects of monetary policy on unemployment dynamics under model uncertainty: evidence from the US and the euro area,"
Working Paper Series
1089, European Central Bank.
- Carlo Altavilla & Matteo Ciccarelli, 2009. "The Effects of Monetary Policy on Unemployment Dynamics Under Model Uncertainty. Evidence from the US and the Euro Area," CSEF Working Papers 231, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Carlo Altavilla & Matteo Ciccarelli, 2009. "The Effects of Monetary Policy on Unemployment Dynamics under Model Uncertainty - Evidence from the US and the Euro Area," CESifo Working Paper Series 2575, CESifo Group Munich.
- Steve Ambler, 2007.
"Price-Level Targeting and Stabilization Policy: A Review,"
07-11, Bank of Canada.
- Steve Ambler, 2009. "Price-Level Targeting and Stabilization Policy: A Review," Bank of Canada Review, Bank of Canada, vol. 2009(Spring), pages 21-31.
- Richard Reichel, 2004. "On the Death of the Phillips Curve: Further Evidence," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 24(3), pages 341-348, Fall.
- Ilker Domac & Magda Kandil, 2002. "On the performance and practicality of nominal GDP targeting in Germany," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 29(3), pages 179-204, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:39821. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.