Aggregate and Welfare Effects of Redistribution of Wealth Under Inflation and Price-Level Targeting
Since the work of Doepke and Schneider (2006a) and Meh and Terajima (2008), we know that inflation causes major redistribution of wealth - between households and the government, between nationals and foreigners, and between households within the same country. Two types of monetary policy, inflation targeting (IT) and price level targeting (PT), have very different implications for the price level path subsequent to a price-level shock, and consequently, have different redistributional properties which is what we explore in this paper. For Canada, we show that the magnitude of redistributions of an unexpected 1% price-level increase under IT is about three times larger than under PT. Households' and foreigners' wealth losses from a price level increase is matched by the gains of the government. Even though this redistribution is zero-sum, we observe positive effects on GDP due to the wealth loss, the lower value of the debt and its associated fiscal adjustment, and the non-linear effects on work effort of the redistribution of wealth across households. Finally, the direction of the change in the weighted welfare of households depends on the fiscal policy.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 234 Wellington Street, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0G9, Canada|
Phone: 613 782-8845
Fax: 613 782-8874
Web page: http://www.bank-banque-canada.ca/
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Drolet, Marie & Morissette, Rene, 1997. "Working More? Working Less? What Do Canadian Workers Prefer?," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 1997104e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Matthias Doepke & Martin Schneider, 2006.
"Inflation as a Redistribution Shock: Effects on Aggregates and Welfare,"
NBER Working Papers
12319, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Doepke, Matthias & Schneider, Martin, 2006. "Inflation as a Redistribution Shock: Effects on Aggregates and Welfare," CEPR Discussion Papers 5939, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Matthias Doepke, . "Inflation as a Redistribution Shock: Effects on Aggregates and Welfare," UCLA Economics Online Papers 412, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Bach, G L & Stephenson, James B, 1974. "Inflation and the Redistribution of Wealth," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 56(1), pages 1-13, February.
- Albanesi, Stefania, 2002.
"Inflation and Inequality,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3470, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Allan M. Maslove & J. C. R. Rowley, 1975. "Inflation and Redistribution," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 8(3), pages 399-409, August.
- Andrés Erosa & Gustavo Ventura, 2000.
"On Inflation as a Regressive Consumption Tax,"
UWO Department of Economics Working Papers
20001, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Agathe Côté, 2007. "Price-Level Targeting," Discussion Papers 07-8, Bank of Canada.
- Svensson, Lars E O, 1999.
"Price-Level Targeting versus Inflation Targeting: A Free Lunch?,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 31(3), pages 277-95, August.
- Svensson, Lars E O, 1996. "Price-level Targeting versus Inflation Targeting: A Free Lunch?," CEPR Discussion Papers 1510, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Steve Ambler, 2009. "Price-Level Targeting And Stabilisation Policy: A Survey," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(5), pages 974-997, December.
- Vestin, David, 2006. "Price-level versus inflation targeting," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(7), pages 1361-1376, October.
- Burnside, Craig & Eichenbaum, Martin & Rebelo, Sérgio, 2003.
"Government Finance in the Wake of Currency Crises,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3939, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Craig Burnside & Martin Eichenbaum & Sergio Rebelo, 2003. "Government Finance in the Wake of Currency Crises," NBER Working Papers 9786, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Craig Burnside & Martin Eichenbaum & Sergio Rebelo, 2003. "Government Finance in the Wake of Currency Crises," RCER Working Papers 501, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Craig Burnside & Martin Eichenbaum, 2005. "Government Finance in the Wake of Currency Crises," 2005 Meeting Papers 429, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Matthias Doepke & Martin Schneider, 2006. "Inflation and the Redistribution of Nominal Wealth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 114(6), pages 1069-1097, December.
- Steve Ambler, 2009.
"Price-Level Targeting and Stabilization Policy: A Review,"
Bank of Canada Review,
Bank of Canada, vol. 2009(Spring), pages 21-31.
- Steve Ambler, 2007. "Price-Level Targeting and Stabilization Policy: A Review," Discussion Papers 07-11, Bank of Canada.
- Gaspar, Vítor & Smets, Frank & Vestin, David, 2007.
"Is time ripe for price level path stability?,"
Working Paper Series
0818, European Central Bank.
- Césaire Meh & Yaz Terajima, 2008.
"Inflation, Nominal Portfolios, and Wealth Redistribution in Canada,"
Staff Working Papers
08-19, Bank of Canada.
- Césaire A. Meh & Yaz Terajima, 2011. "Inflation, nominal portfolios, and wealth redistribution in Canada," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 44(4), pages 1369-1402, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bca:bocawp:08-31. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.